Do you have to wrap to win?

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I think it was last's weeks BBQ Pitmasters one of the competitors made the statement if you aren't wrapping your aren't winning in regards to ribs. So how many of you don't wrap and still get your name called? I always wrapped till about 6 months ago. I prefer my ribs now not wrapped but I haven't competed with that philosophy yet.

Whatever advice you hear from anyone, you can generally assume this. Someone else is doing the exact opposite and crushing it at comps.

A good rule of thumb to remember, reality and TV shows are usually polar opposites. But the debate of foiling will go on forever and I know teams that do it both ways and get calls and wins.

A good rule of thumb to remember, reality and TV shows are usually polar opposites. But the debate of foiling will go on forever and I know teams that do it both ways and get calls and wins.

Isnt that the truth. I love all the butcher paper talk now days. Everyone is looking for that EZ fix to making great briskets. It takes practice. Oh and a $ 100 dollar piece of meat doesnt hurt.

Isnt that the truth. I love all the butcher paper talk now days. Everyone is looking for that EZ fix to making great briskets. It takes practice. Oh and a $ 100 dollar piece of meat doesnt hurt.

I don't think that it has as much to do with finding an "EZ fix" as much as it is about trying to duplicate what appears to be a new technique to many that aren't from Texas where wrapping in butcher paper is the norm. It just so happens to also produce excellent results.

Unless you're implying that Texans are doing it and have been doing it the "EZ fix" way for many decades now and it's some how the "wrong" way?

In my play book, butcher paper is just a tool. You still have to find a great piece of meat, season it, and cook it just right. Butcher paper doesn't really make a bad brisket good IMO.. but I do get your point.

I don't think that it has as much to do with finding an "EZ fix" as much as it is about trying to duplicate what appears to be a new technique to many that aren't from Texas where wrapping in butcher paper is the norm. It just so happens to also produce excellent results.

Unless you're implying that Texans are doing it and have been doing it the "EZ fix" way for many decades now and it's some how the "wrong" way?

My point has nothing to do with a geographical region.

I do not wrap ribs, and did not most of the last year, I still do things to impart additional flavor and texture, but, overall wrapping, nope

I thought they only ate beef in Texas.:icon_smile_tongue: We always foil ribs. We have done well in ribs but have only won the catagory once. Maybe time for a change.

I foil my ribs. Tender ribs are a necessity in Tx comps.

My point has nothing to do with a geographical region.

And neither does mine, as much as it does the reason why a proven technique is being picked up on and tried by many. It just seems to have spread out of Texas in the last couple of years on a large scale. Either way, it has nothing to do with an "EZ fix", it's just another tool, just like foil.

And neither does mine, as much as it does the reason why a proven technique is being picked up on and tried by many. It just seems to have spread out of Texas in the last couple of years on a large scale. Either way, it has nothing to do with an "EZ fix", it's just another tool, just like foil.

Ok ya your right, argue that one

My ribs have bombed in competition foiled and unfoiled. However, my best finish (2nd) was not foiled.

Back