MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
Iamarealbigdog
On the road to being a farker

Black Pig BBQ

Hog 161

Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #32
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

We are in R018 ON THE RIVER! Woot!

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #33
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

For those of you teams that have not been in MIM before...

The “Crap they don’t tell you about Competing in Memphis in May” list…

Let’s start with the planning, since getting in is a matter of turning in the application…and I assume that has already happened
1. Cooks meeting - first timers - go if you can…great way to network
You can add ancillaries, wed. night tickets, and 3 day wristbands up until cooks meeting in april
2. Patio Porkers get 5 - 24 hour bands
3. Regular Teams get 15-24 Hour bands

Larger teams (like mine) will buy your extra 24 hour bands…(good way to recoup some costs or to get your kegs or a case of pork paid for)

4. 3 day wristbands are only for gate hours Thurs-Sat
5. Big hog package is a waste of money for a small team…
6. Cattlemans offers free sauce to teams…sign up for it, get the maximium amount…free stuff is good stuff, and if you sign up for the max, that’s like 200 dollars worth of free bbq supplies.

The Contest

1. If you have a large trailer you want in your team booth get there the Saturday before the contest starts because once the fences go up it is dang near impossible to get that hoss into a muddy rutted out spot.

2. Put up your fence as soon as you get there - If you do not, then your empty spot will be used as a parking lot, a turn around, and a way to put a trailer into the spot behind yours. THIS SUX. The booth gets all rutted out and very nasty with mud. So prevention is the best policy

3. BRING some kind of floor. You will thank me for this. They don’t call it Memphis in Mud for nothing. It has to sit above the ground. No wood chips, plywood directly on the ground, etc. We use pallets then hammer plywood over em…cheap and easy. I say bring b/c the rental company charges 28 bucks per 4ftx4ft square of flooring.

4. Get the Fire Marshall permit tag as soon as you can on Monday or Tues…DO NOT FORGET…it will be absolute HELL trying to track these guys down come Wednesday

5. Bring your own grounding wire kit for your tent, if you don’t the electricians will charge you for a kit..AND INSTALLATION…if you bring your own they will hook you in no charge

6. WATCH your team boundaries…there are some teams that will move paint and stakes to get a bigger area. I won’t name names, but it is rude and sh**ty to do. Measure your spot, then drive BIG stakes into the ground at the corners…

7. Count on electric to not be hooked up until Tuesday…it usually gets hooked up before, but there have been snafu’s in the past. Make sure you have an
alternative plan for meat, tools, light, etc

8. RENT A PORT-O-JOHN, and put it in the BACK of your booth. You can thank me later for this. If your crapper is in the front people will just walk into your booth and use it without permission…not cool. If you don’t have one you will regret it when you go to relive yourself only to find overflowing crappers from the 100,000 people that used them before you. Plus all the drunks= PUKE in the public ones…NASTY

9. Beer sales end early by 9pm everyday…PLAN FOR THIS. Wed is like 6pm and Sat is 7 pm…Remember to stock up or you will be SOL…

10. Wednesday is the last day to load in…7am - NOON Vehicles must leave by 3pm…those of you driving in from points unknown This is the ABSOLUTE LAST time to load big stuff in…otherwise you will be hoofing it in from ½ a mile away…that is no exageration…½ a mile at least carrying stuff.

11. GET A WAGON - this will save you LOTS of heartache. From kegs to meat, to the 2 kids you can haul everything you need in them. A must for MIM.

12. You will need to have Blockers and runners for your entries. The crowds are thick and you will need 2 or 3 person teams to get your stuff to the judging quickly and safely.

13. You need to bring a fire extinguisher with a CURRENT INSPECTION TAG ATTACHED. They will not give you a fire permit without one.

14. All propane tanks must have a holder…a milk crate is perfect for this, without a holder…no permit
AND THE BIGGEST RULE
If things go wrong with your pork entry put the beautiful portions in the blind box. (remember pork entries can have NO garnish) You have to learn to B.S. and sell your onsite judge on your product. You can talk your way out of a burnt looking rib or shoulder to an onsite judge, you can’t explain anything to the blind judges….

I think that’s all my tips…anyone else got anything?

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #34
Big Butt BBQ

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ Shoulder S-231

Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #35
Iamarealbigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
I think that’s all my tips…anyone else got anything?

Good job Neil...

Another reminder, Sam's Club ran out of bottled water on site and then at every wharehouse in the region... get your stock early

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #36
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

My wife and I are going to be hanging out with PLANET BARBEQUE, INC. This will be our first time and we can't wait!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #37
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Do you have to win your way in or just pay a lot of money?
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #38
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Can anyone tell me turn in times including beef/ancillaries please? I am helping a friend to prepare a corporate team from the U.K. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #39
Knows what a fatty is.

My wife and I will be in the crowd this year. Definitely going to write down team names and lot numbers so we can come by and visit for a moment.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #40
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

My fiancee and soon to be mother in law and myself had a BLAST last year hanging out with everyone. It was about a bazillion degrees but it was still an awesome time.

Unfortuantly, we won't be able to make it this year since we're getting married on the 11th and will be in Jamaica.

Therefore, yes, I hate to inform you all ... there will be NO cream colored ash grey Brethren shirt at MIM this year

Good luck to all the teams.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #41
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cack View Post
My fiancee and soon to be mother in law and myself had a BLAST last year hanging out with everyone. It was about a bazillion degrees but it was still an awesome time.

Unfortuantly, we won't be able to make it this year since we're getting married on the 11th and will be in Jamaica.

Therefore, yes, I hate to inform you all ... there will be NO cream colored ash grey Brethren shirt at MIM this year

Good luck to all the teams.
you could buy a new, real ash gray T shirt and wear it in Jamaica
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #42
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ View Post
Do you have to win your way in or just pay a lot of money?
Team application has to be accepted, I was told over 500 teams applied this year, 250 got in

Neil

Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #43
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselle View Post
Can anyone tell me turn in times including beef/ancillaries please? I am helping a friend to prepare a corporate team from the U.K. Thanks.
1245pm - Exotic Turn in
1245pm - Tomato Sauce Turn in
115pm - Seafood Turn in
115pm - Mustard Sauce Turn in
145pm - Poultry Turn in
145pm - Vinegar Sauced Turn in
215pm - Beef Turn in
245pm - Hot Wings Turn in

If they need anything, Please have them contact us, we try to help all the first timers out as much as possible

Send me your email...I'll send you the complete team manual as a pdf

Neil

Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #44
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 068 View Post
My wife and I will be in the crowd this year. Definitely going to write down team names and lot numbers so we can come by and visit for a moment.
Thursday in our tent R-018, BBQ Brethren Mixer, All Brethren are invited...

Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #45
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain P.J. View Post
My wife and I are going to be hanging out with PLANET BARBEQUE, INC. This will be our first time and we can't wait!
Awesome, Remember to come by and say hi...Especially Thursday at 5pm for the mixer...Trying to get a Big Brethren photo taken.

Thanks from:--->