• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

To trash or not?

S4vant

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have a bit of a dilemma. We lost power due to Hurricane Sandy, and it was out for a good 4 days. I had a decent amount of vac sealed meat stored in our upright freezer during this time.

I didn't open the freezer until about 30 minutes after the power went back on, but it looks like the meat had mostly thawed. It was still cool to the touch, but definitely not frozen.

Should I throw it out? It has since re-frozen.

Had a couple of 3-packs of cryopac babybacks, a couple of nice tri-tips, and a bunch of steaks.

Opinions?

I would thaw one of the smallest pieces since they would have thawed first.

Smell it and let your nose be your guide.

Best I have to offer.

Remember:
Meat is Cheap.
Doctors are Expensive.
Friends and Family are Priceless.

TIM

Yup, I would thaw a thin steak and test for smell. The ribs will be trickier due to plastic funk. Beef that smells sour or moldy, toss it.

If it were me and assuming that I really didn't know how long the meat was sitting above 40 degrees I'd throw it out. But I'm a little weird about that stuff.

no, not weird at all. I guess I'll probably pitch most of it next trash day....

Time for another run to the butcher.....

If it were me and assuming that I really didn't know how long the meat was sitting above 40 degrees I'd throw it out. But I'm a little weird about that stuff.

Yeah, since you waited 30 minutes before checking, you have no way of knowing what the temperature was at it's peak, and how long it may have been in the danger zone.

If a freezer full of meat is all you lost, you are pretty fortunate, compared to thousands of other people.

CD

If you do get rid of it, make a list of the values of the items. Your homeowners insurance just might cover it. My windstorm insurance paid for the contents of my fridge and freezer after hurricane Wilma. (and a new roof, new screens, etc.) It might at least apply towards your deductible.

Back