MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Myron Mixon Cupcake Chicken-anyone make?

I made Myron's cupcake chicken from the book over the weekend. I followed the instructions to the letter. It turned out OK. It seems to me that the recipe has a few things that need adjusted.
1-Calls for 3.75 cups of ckicken broth. I think 1/2 of that would have been sufficient.
2-the sauce makes like 2 qts and you only need about a cup to lightly brush the tops. I saved a qt and am going to try this again in a few weeks. I think the sauce recipe needs to be cut way back.

Anybody else make this and have a similar experience? I thought it was good, but it didn't just blow me away. I am going to make it again in a few weeks and tweak it a little. Any suggestions on other tweaks?
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Tried this a couple times...The first time, we used Myron's rub, with our sauce. The chicken looked really good, had nice bite through skin, but was a little dry.

Second time, we did the same rub, same technique, just brined the chicken first. It made a world of difference, and was probably the best piece of chicken I've ever had. (and won us 1st place at the competition we were in).

If I had to change anything, I'd use one of those mini loaf pans for the chicken to go into, so they look more "thigh" shaped.
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

OK, Thanks. Mine was moist enough. It was tasty, just not WOW! I will try brining the chicken next time.

I made the pan from an older cupcake pan. Drilled holes and cleaned them up, cut my finger. My wife got a new cupcake pan out of the deal. It is a neat idea. I think I can improve on it for home cooking.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Never heard of this method???
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Go to http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Chicken-365437. It's Myron Mixon's method for cooking chicken thighs.
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
It's in Myron's book also. It really is an interesting book.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Just a little followup. On Saturday my wife and I ate 3 of the thighs immediately right off the smoker just like the recipe says and froze the other 9. Last night we defrosted half of those for dinner and they had a much more WOW kind of taste. I think the secret is to rest them before eating.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdtn View Post
Just a little followup. On Saturday my wife and I ate 3 of the thighs immediately right off the smoker just like the recipe says and froze the other 9. Last night we defrosted half of those for dinner and they had a much more WOW kind of taste. I think the secret is to rest them before eating.

Too bad I can't use this method in a comp
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Not to hijack the thread, but several of the recipes in Myron's cookbook seem to have screwy proportions. When using a recipe for the first time, most folks want to follow it to the letter - but you have to really be careful with that particular cookbook.

For ex: there is a recipe that calls for 1 pound of smoked sausage and THREE CUPS of rub! Wow, that just seems like a lot of rub to me.
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, that was one of my original observations. The recipe for the sauce makes about 2 qts of sauce and you only need about a cup. You could easily cut the recipe by 10 and have plenty of sauce. I will make more of the recipes. I enjoyed reading the cookbook if nothing else. I did like the cupcake chicken, next time I will rest it before I serve it.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
bustem55
On the road to being a farker

I bought the book the other day(On my Phone) and I'm very pleased with the read so far. Cant wait to try some of the recipes. Good to know on the units of measure for the recipes.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
It's from 2009/2010... like moink in '08..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Midnight Smoke

I have done it a time or two using my own method.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
route66
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry The Toad View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but several of the recipes in Myron's cookbook seem to have screwy proportions. When using a recipe for the first time, most folks want to follow it to the letter - but you have to really be careful with that particular cookbook.

For ex: there is a recipe that calls for 1 pound of smoked sausage and THREE CUPS of rub! Wow, that just seems like a lot of rub to me.
Might be a little much rub and sauce unless you sold them!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
thomasjurisd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Midnight ☼ Smoke} View Post
I have done it a time or two using my own method.

Dang! That looks good!