Smoked Beer Can Chicken and Dumplings

Theboz1419

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well, I got this idea from the comfort food thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119139

I love chicken and dumplings and my mom used to make a very easy recipe using cream of celery or mushroom soup and chicken legs and using Bisquick dumplings. I thought it would work really well on my UDS and to my surprise it did

I started out with basic mirepoix(carrots, celery, and onoins)
img20111030134640.jpg

I cut everything I little bigger then usually, as it was going to be on the smoker for awhile and wanted to finish about the same time as the chicken.

I added non-salted chicken stock, a family sized can of cream of mushroom soup, and water and various spices.

The Chicken
used two cans of my available beer(bud) and I coated the two chickens with oil and just salt and pepper.

on to the smoker
img20111030144923.jpg

Added some apple wood and let it smoke for, I think about 2.5 hours at about 350.

When I knew the chicken was done I made the dumplings using the bisquick drop dumpling recipe, added some pepper and a little cumin to the mix.

I then used a big spoon and dropped the mix into the pan

img20111030172532.jpg

I let the dumplings smoke and cook for about 15 minutes, give or take a few

The finish product, This pic was the this mornings leftovers and the dumplings were about gone. But I think the leftovers the next day are even better. I liked the taste. It could have used a little less water and either more stock or more soup base. It was good and would make it again. The Dumplings had a hint of smoke flavor that worked really well, too

img20111031085630.jpg

Thanks for looking :-D

• Thanks
Reactions: B3
Back