How fast can you pull a butt by hand?

HB-BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The ultimate thread got me thinking...Anyway how fast can you do one without tools or hydraulics?

My average is 3-4 minutes depending on fat content.

I've never timed myself nor have a tried to go really fast. I would guess somewhere around 3-4 minutes as well.

comps with gloves - 8+- minutes

home with gloves - 6 minutes
home w/o gloves - 30 minutes with OUCH OUCH OUCH the whole way

Um...I usually stop to munch along the way, and yes, ouch no gloves but still...munch munch...pull pull pull, oh! a juicy piece of fat with bark! munch munch...

15-20 minutes but have been really trying to get all fat before and didn't have gloves until recently. I haven't pulled one with gloves yet.

The two we did last weekend came out perfect. Super tender and juicy but not mushy. After they sat about 5 to 10 minutes the bone pulled out clean and then a few "squishes, for a lack of a better term" with hands in gloves on each butt and there was a nice pile of pulled pork. So I am guessing about 2 minutes tops. (granted this was home cooking so we wern't trying to pull nice pretty pieces to be judged and I had to sample it a few times while pulling it). It is impossible to resist them fatty, crispy chunks of bark with a little super smokey piece of meat stuck to them.

Comps...probably ten minutes or so...pickin' out the prime stuff...
Catering...three to four minutes per butt...

Well now lets see,how fast,hmmm,if you slam it on the floor real hard then stomp all over it with your golf spikes on I'd say just a matter of a few seconds ... :roll: ... seriously though I'm pretty slow at it, I usually go through the meat twice to make sure I get the fat out so I guess around 25-30 minutes being pretty hot still and I don't wear gloves.

Back