MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
JohnnyQue
Found some matches.

Default Help with Pastrami

Hey guys, I was asked by my Sis-in-law to smoke something for a family get together and I thought Pastrami sounded good (never had it but saw something on the Food Network and have been wanting to try it ever since).

I will have to prepare it at home and take it with me the next day.

I have read the Thirdeye method on his blog and am planning on going that way. I was planning on taking it to 150F, foiling w/ liquid and taking to 165-170.

Knowing we wont be eating it untill the following evening what would do then? Slice right away or wait? How would you package and transport? How to reheat and serve?

Thanks in advance.
JohnnyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I leave it whole, wrap and refrigerate and then steam it to serving temp when the time comes.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have probably commented a few times now about how I'm so glad I found the Thirdeye method on these forums :). I take it to 150 and then use a pressure cooker to steam. So great. I'm sure foiling with liquid will do the same.

I would wait to slice it. For me I normally eat the pastrami cooled and then sliced thin for sandwiches. I'd wrap that sucker in foil for transport and for reheating maybe a foiled warm up in the oven which I do with other foods. I haven't warmed a whole pastrami back up though so others may have better insight there.
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

To prep the corned beef brisket I'll remove the fat cap, rinse it well with cold water & then soak it in the fridge for a couple days, changing the water a couple times a day. Then dry it off, give it a good coating of olive oil and use a pepper mill to apply coriander and black pepper to taste. You will end up with half of what you started with so keep that in mind.

I've had good luck taking it to 165F. Foiling with water half way up the side & taking it to 200F. Then wrap in a towel & into the cooler for at least an hour. then into the fridge. When you take it out of the fridge it's going to have a lot of hard fat & stuff attached to it. I scrap off what I can & rinse the rest off with hot water & then slice. Here are a couple pics of a recent pastrami cook. Cheers!!!