As a competition team...

pro⋅fes⋅sion⋅al
–adjective 1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder. 2.of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies. 3.appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity. 4.engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person. 5.following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer. 6.making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist.” 7.undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball. 8.of or for a professional person or his or her place of business or work: a professional apartment; professional equipment. 9.done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs.

When you compete in a BBQ competition, do you consider yourself a BBQ professional?

Are you just a competitor, a hobbist, a professional...one, some or all?
I don't know... Based on your definition, I guess we would be considered 'Professional' because we sell Q to make money to do the comps even if it isn't my primary income...

Everyone that participates in a BBQ competition is a competitor. Those that compete for money and prizes are professionals.
I don't know many that don't go out to a comp and not at least hope that they would will either win money and/or prizes...

I don't know... Based on your definition, I guess we would be considered 'Professional' because we sell Q to make money to do the comps even if it isn't my primary income...

I don't know many that don't go out to a comp and not at least hope that they would will either win money and/or prizes...

Yes, exactly my point although I'm not sure there is such thing as an amateur in compeititon BBQ and I've never seen anyone turn the money down once they won it, although there are teams that donate their proceeds to charity and I highly commend them for that.

I think of professionals more in sports terms than I do as in a "profession". It used to be you could tell the amateur athletes apart from the professionals though that line has now been blurred considerably especially with the Olympics. Do you think we can get BBQ as an Olympic medal sport?:-D

I think of myself as an idiot with an expensive hobby - my wife would just say an idiot.

To rephase your question a little, in the world of competing in BBQ, at which stage would you consider an amature bbq or pro? I would say if you are competing in the back yard competitions you would be consider amature and if you are competing on a circuit that is consider a top circuit like KCBS or MIM then you are a pro. Lots of pro's do their deal as hobby. Take Harry Gant when he was in NASCAR he would put up drywall Mon -Thurs and go racing Fri-Sun.

When I grow up I want to be a pro, until then just an addicted competitor:wink:

Back