MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring

Notices

BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring *On Topic Only* From the Backyard to the American Royal... thats our motto. Here is a place for those interested in Competition BBQ, but not yet ready to venture out alone can hook up and help out our veteran teams to see what its like on "The Dark Side". More instructions inside.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Default *** Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ- Ada, Michigan

Team name: Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ

Bio: The team members are myself, Theresa Munroe (tonto1117), my husband, Walt Munroe (Bud's BBQ), Steve Coddington (Bbq Bubba) and Geoff Crewe (crewdawg52) We started competing in 2007. With only 4 comps under our belt we have walked a in Ribs, Pork and Chicken a few times. Are best to date is 6th place overall in a 48 team contest.

Location info: Michigan. But we will be competing in MI,IN, OH, IL, and depending how the season is going other states will be added as well.

Sanctioning body info: KCBS

Contact info: [email protected]

Upcoming events: To be determined...Plannng on 7-10 comps this year.I will edit and post info once we get our schedule set.

We would be happy to have you come along to help out and learn what competition BBQ is all about and have some fun and enjoy.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.

Last edited by tonto1117; 01-31-2008 at 06:57 PM..
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I would love to help out your team if your down a team member.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
BanditBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rhino
Default Coming to Wamac/Centralia

I hear tell you're considering coming down to Illinois for the Wamac/Centralia contest (Southwestern Illinois Spring Festival in May). I'll be there too! Shane, the contest organizer, is a real nice guy...new to organizing a contest, but trying real hard. Should be a lot of fun!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditBBQ View Post
I hear tell you're considering coming down to Illinois for the Wamac/Centralia contest (Southwestern Illinois Spring Festival in May). I'll be there too! Shane, the contest organizer, is a real nice guy...new to organizing a contest, but trying real hard. Should be a lot of fun!
Yep, this looks like it will be on our calendar. Talked with Shane a few days ago, sounds like he's starting to understand the need for revamping his origanal setup/layout (cooking in one area and having your trailor/RV/ect...in another. Also said he is 99.9% sure it will be santioned, just can't officially say so till it's a done deal. Really nice guy like you said!!
See you there Jim....looking foward to it!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
BanditBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rhino
Default Yep,

it's sanctioned. KCBS approved it at the January BOD, but didn't post it until a couple of days ago.

Should be fun!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Q-topia
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hey Theresa! We've taken your advice and joined this site; seems great so far.

I'm just chiming in with my team's opinion that the Scotsmen are great people, and if someone gets mentored by them, they're in very good hands. We met them last weekend when we competed in our first competition in Libertyville, IL. We were lucky enough to be the Scotsmen's neighbors. They were extremely generous with their food (wow, those bisquits and gravy ) and their advice. They were reserve Grand Champ so the latter was just as spot-on as the former.

S H I T A L (I had to space out my name like this b/c the system recognizes the first 4 letters, and makes it "****al." The drawbacks of being an Indian bbqer, I guess )
--------------
Q-topia

Last edited by Q-topia; 10-23-2008 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: adjusting my name
Q-topia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Tonto looking forward to seeing you again in Kettering if you are coming back. It was great meeting you and Walt this passed year and appricate you advice. For someone like me that never came up behind someone else on a team learning I can use all the help I can get. Are you coming in for the Bash??????????????
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto1117 View Post
We would be happy to have you come along to help out and learn what competition BBQ is all about and have some fun and enjoy.
And what a fine job you all did. I had a blast helping you guys in Arthur. Can't wait till next year, maybe I'll have a team of my own.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

i want to come help I would look so hot in a kilt.....not to mention i get my hand on good wood....
Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Bud's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-topia View Post
Hey Theresa! We've taken your advice and joined this site; seems great so far.

I'm just chiming in with my team's opinion that the Scotsmen are great people, and if someone gets mentored by them, they're in very good hands. We met them last weekend when we competed in our first competition in Libertyville, IL. We were lucky enough to be the Scotsmen's neighbors. They were extremely generous with their food (wow, those bisquits and gravy ) and their advice. They were reserve Grand Champ so the latter was just as spot-on as the former.

S H I T A L (I had to space out my name like this b/c the system recognizes the first 4 letters, and makes it "****al." The drawbacks of being an Indian bbqer, I guess )
--------------
Q-topia
Was very enjoyable to meet the Q-Topia team. It's this aspect of the competition circuit that makes it all worth while. Where else can you meet the greatest folks from all parts of the country and all walks of life who share a fundabmental enjoyment of good food - BBQ afterall . Take care of that beautiful baby, S H I T A L!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipls3355
And what a fine job you all did. I had a blast helping you guys in Arthur. Can't wait till next year, maybe I'll have a team of my own.
Chris, it was also great working with you and thanks so much for giving us a hand in Arthur. You stuck me as we fought the battle of the crappy wood. Maybe if we had some really small bits of wood (aka, pellets ), we could have managed the thin blue smoke - Naw, we are real stick burners .

The best part of this mentoring program was our first encounter in April of this year: Joe and Nicole joined us as mentor and quickly became the best of friends as well as key contributors to our success this year and full time members of the Smo Sco's...love ya, Queen of Green (p.s. - that's a "clown ass"...not an "ass clown" !!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyz
i want to come help I would look so hot in a kilt.....not to mention i get my hand on good wood....

And Billy, no farking way on the kilt idea . But, can't thank you enough for the shag bark hickory.

bud and theresa

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
CBJ
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL
Bud's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote