Traditional NC Bar-B-Q (Lexington style) - Secrets from SirPorkalot HQ

I eat enough boiled peanuts, I don't need a gun. Loading is a bad thing though.

Of late, I have been giving some thought to doing a cook wherein the rub isn't applied until the meat hits the stall. This makes that even more intriguing to me.

What? Where did that come from?

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

John expects it from me.

BTW, does the skin end up edible doing this? Do you chop the skin into the meat?

John expects it from me.

BTW, does the skin end up edible doing this? Do you chop the skin into the meat?

Yes it does end up edible if chopped and no I didn't.

That and the bone belong to the faithful bbq companion.

Fantastic looking cook, John! And I do love me some NC pork sammich, although I'm guilty of adding mustard to mine, too. If I'm able to fit both butt and picnic on my Keg, this is how I'll do the next one. Thanks for taking the time, brother! :clap2:

Thanks for giving out all my closely guarded secrets right down to the sauce:mmph:.Looks like what I had for dinner the past two nights:eusa_clap

Interesting post and technique. I had to trim some back ribs to fit my 18.5 WSM and that left me with a bunch of 3-4 bone mini-racks. So I put a different rub on each and smoked them in my mini-WSM. I left one blank - no rub - and only put some peanut oil on it. I was surprised how good it tasted. A rub is not really required for good 'Q and the technique you describe is a good example of that.

This thread makes me miss the homeland in a bad way! I think I'll be getting a picnic and butt for this weekend! THanks for the great post on why NC BBQ is so great!!!

This should be mandatory reading for everybody. Being from 'Down East' I can attest to the authenticity of this Q. Except for the ketchup of course. Great Job! And a big thanks ya'll.

Thanks all!

As with everyone else I experiment with all different types of rubs and techniques, but when it comes to just making some bbq to eat and fill the freezer with future rations, I always go back to the techniques learned back home.

Back