MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoney72 View Post
Good, I kinda figured that, but I wanted to ask the question. I'm gonna do a pork butt this weekend, so I will get some gunk built up in her and seal it off;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
She will seal up just fine after a few cooks. No need to worry. As far as letting it cool down, close all the vents and everything will be o.k..

Congrats on your new weapon! (big brother smoke mod)

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Just went out and looked at wsm and noticed that the coals never extinguished themselves with all of the vents closed:'( I hope that it seals off better than that or charcoal is gonna get real expensive. I'm not a real big fan of those tabs on the vents, they are probably the reason it did that

1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
My door seemed to be sealed pretty well, since I did a little tweaking on it, I only saw a little smoke coming out of it. I was wondering if all of you wsm owners have smoke coming out around the perimeter of your lids?
A little smoke here, a little smoke there, don't sweat it. My WSMs get scrubbed spotless once or twice a year. I always have a little smoke sneaking out. No big deal.

Quote:
Just went out and looked at wsm and noticed that the coals never extinguished themselves with all of the vents closed
You've got some leaking somewhere. Have you checked it to be sure it's "in round"? Check the bowl, and top and bottom of the center section. If it's out of round you'll have problems getting the coals to go out.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats on your WSM. I just picked up a used (once?) 22 yesterday. I've had an 18 for a couple years and also have a mini.

I had similar problem with infiltration on the 18 when it was new. After a couple smokes that had higher temps than I wanted and with all bottom vents closed, I put some high temp silicone along the bottom seal on the mid section:

That helped to bring temperatures under control for me and I plan to do that on the 22 as well. What Harbormaster said about out of round is also important. Try to determine where the widest point on the bottom is and match that up with the widest point on the middle. Probably help to do the same with the lid as well. Some will try to get the sections perfectly round with gentle persuasion and that's probably a good strategy if you can get it right.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

@HankB that's a very nice collection you have there:). I'm just getting ready to put on two whole butts right now, so I'm hoping a nice long cook is gonna help out. I'm kinda thinking that one the newness wears off I won't revert back to my mini for a lot of my cooks, but I am gonna get this 22 1/2 seasoned up first. I really like how this new cooker reacts to vent adjustments so far, I'm sure its gonna get a lot better too! I might do some high temp silicone like you have if I continue to do short cooks, regardless of how this thing shuts down. I have a digiq that I am eventually set up, so sealing it up will be a priority eventually anyways. So far this cooker doesn't even need a guru for anything, but piece of mind:). I use the guru on my performer and I almost think it might stay on there, well see

1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote