MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
AZScott
Take a breath!

I'm with Pyle's BBQ. The bar is looking for something to bring in patrons to sell them drinks, not another revenue source. This happens at bars every day with karaoke, bands, etc. At least with this scenario the owner is breaking even plus making some extra money. If it were me I'd do $35 an hour but that's just me. You have to make back your prep and cleanup time somewhere. If it was $20 an hour flat I'd be out.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #17
Cooknhogz
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
If I were a bar owner, there is no way I'm gonna stay on board for an extra $225.

I see this situation lasting one maybe two events.
Your looking at the small picture, OK, so say the bar makes only $225 on the BBQ now add that to the shiz load of extra money they made on drinks.
Cooknhogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
Cooknhogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
There are a couple of other thoughts I have.

1. If you see this as an opportunity to market your name, but, you are not in control of the base ingredients, sides etc...then you risk you reputation on their decisions of sourcing and sides. This is not always a good risk.

2. Are you doing only the cooking and none of the plating? Have you settled on who moves the meat into the kitchen? Is there a kitchen? Are you really just cooking, or will you be doing plating as well?

3. Have you really considered pricing and whether the people coming to a bar are willing to pay for food. Food in a bar is not often a profit center. Do you get cash on closing, or is this to be an account type of thing?
1. I see this a great opportunity to get my name out to more people and if its advertised on the radio thats money in the bank. I will be cooking mainly just the meat and will have a say in the sides. I have BBQed for this bar many times in the past and its aways been a big hit. There food is excellent so no worry on bad sides.

2. I wont be plating, There staff will help, and yes there is a full kitchen.

3. I will be getting pay after the gig. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
Cooknhogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Oh, hell! Just work for beer!
LOL, I aways get free drinks when cooking there. The owners are great and have aways taken care of me.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #20
Cooknhogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScott View Post
I'm with Pyle's BBQ. The bar is looking for something to bring in patrons to sell them drinks, not another revenue source. This happens at bars every day with karaoke, bands, etc. At least with this scenario the owner is breaking even plus making some extra money. If it were me I'd do $35 an hour but that's just me. You have to make back your prep and cleanup time somewhere. If it was $20 an hour flat I'd be out.
The owners and myself will sit down and come up with a fair agreement I'm sure. I figure start off at a more that reasonable price and if its a big hit I will be compensated for it. We have nothing on paper yet thats why I started here to get other peoples thoughts on the matter. This site is a great resource. Thank you all.

Last edited by Cooknhogz; 12-02-2012 at 08:32 AM..
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #21
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Outstanding!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
Cooknhogz

BBQ Bubba, wouldn't mind finding out what makes your brisket the best North of Dallas. LOL, I cook and smoke the hell out of pork, whole hogs, butts, sausage, and ribs. If its on a hog I can do something with it but I have only done brisket a few times and I'm no expert at it. Would love to add it to my menu someday but wont till I get it perfect. Have a good day.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooknhogz View Post
BBQ Bubba, wouldn't mind finding out what makes your brisket the best North of Dallas. LOL, I cook and smoke the hell out of pork, whole hogs, butts, sausage, and ribs. If its on a hog I can do something with it but I have only done brisket a few times and I'm no expert at it. Would love to add it to my menu someday but wont till I get it perfect. Have a good day.
Its all about the love brutha!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooknhogz View Post
Your looking at the small picture, OK, so say the bar makes only $225 on the BBQ now add that to the shiz load of extra money they made on drinks.
People that are full of food don't drink a lot.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
txschutte

BTW-Bubba's brisket is not the best North of Dallas. People are just hooked on it because the base ingredient of his rub is crack cocaine.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
Cooknhogz

Quote:
BTW-Bubba's brisket is not the best North of Dallas. People are just hooked on it because the base ingredient of his rub is crack cocaine.
Dang txchutte, and I thinkin it was nothin but Bubba luv in his brisket. Never heard of crack as the secret ingredient. lmao, ya kill me.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
People that are full of food don't drink a lot.

People eating BBQ will Drink.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
Dr_KY

Pubs are a strange beast and it's where I started my catering. I agree wit what's been said previously and you need to look at what you want in the end as a result.
-Is this particular place somewhere you want to be for several weeks or just to turn a profit?
-What is in it for you? Marketing, spring boarding , something to spend your free time on?
-What do you need from this venture?
- When thinking of your time you MUST factor in ALL of your time remember you need to set up, shop, cook, q , serve ,store, clean down, restock, improve, adjust maintaince and this is all before you settle in for building a market base and hoe it will benefit from your efforts.

The wind changes often in pubs/bars meaning one week you could be on fire and the next service people are not interested an want something new. Think retail in this situation.

Consider doing a few live cooks the turning it into a drop off service to the bar. Batches of pulled pork and brisket pre cooked and vac sucked so they can do as they will with it freeing up your time and opening options. Do chicken live and in person then run rib weekends. If it all kicks off then you have already set the game plan and can adjust upwards rather than down.

Personally I wouldn't go in guns blazing with a plan to fill the neighborhood with smoke on every run. Make it special and keep it that way.

I found that drinkers will eat at the right time and here it at half time and a short while after a game. I get through this by offering table platters meaning a serving or six tonight's all people consisting of ABT's OR wings, MOINK balls and loads of garnish with some unshelled peanuts in the foliage. This will get them ready to put the feed bag on for your mains just remember you are not feeding them with this just priming the pump. Spice the wings up a level as it will keep the bar happy serving pitchers of cold beer then the monks will give the BBQ taste buds humming.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->