A beef cheek relleno bake on the drum

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Took a shortcut, instead of dipping the stuffed chilies and frying them individually, I layered everything lasagna style.

Blistered, steamed, peeled and seeded some anahiems (my favorite).

002_zpsc932c98c.jpg

layered them in the cast iron pot, topped with beef cheek meat that I cooked with onions, green, red and yellow peppers.

009_zps58643b84.jpg

010_zpsad687719.jpg

topped with asadero cheese and repeated the layers two more times.

012_zps33fb237a.jpg

019_zps2b27cb66.jpg

made my batter using 8 whipped egg whites, 8 yolks and 8 TBs of flour,
poured the batter over the top...sprinkled with dry rub.

023_zps67bae4e1.jpg

Into the Big Poppa Smoker UDS at 325F.

064_zpsdb31bb54.jpg

052_zps2e18654d.jpg

Turned out pretty good! Really saved a lot of time making them this way too.

114_zps24313000.jpg

088_zps944c403f.jpg

Thanks for looking

I knew as soon as I saw beef cheeks that it was Jeanie... That looks great! So, if you were to do that one again, would you change or add anything? Reason I ask is I've got about 8lbs of beef cheeks in the freezer....

Very nice post and I love your batter!

I knew as soon as I saw beef cheeks that it was Jeanie... That looks great! So, if you were to do that one again, would you change or add anything? Reason I ask is I've got about 8lbs of beef cheeks in the freezer....

Very nice post and I love your batter!

Thanks Marty! I do love beef cheeks. :-D
The batter doesn't have salt so the sauce is a must. (for my taste buds anyway) I think you could add salt to the batter but I haven't tried it.
Sounds like you have a good suppy of cheeks! Can't wait to see what you make. Thanks again..

I am really glad you called that rig a drum smoker because it's the direct opposite of a UDS.

That cook looks Delicious!

Thank you Toast! The drum is so shiny, I love it. :mrgreen:

That looks fantastic as usual Jeanie! Heck I think you could even consider that baked...hint, hint. :) :thumbup:

There is just no end to your creativity! That looks incredible, and chili rellenos is one of my favorites. Just may have to sleal yet another idea, LOL.

That looks fantastic as usual Jeanie! Heck I think you could even consider that baked...hint, hint. :) :thumbup:

Thanks Jason! :grin:

There is just no end to your creativity! That looks incredible, and chili rellenos is one of my favorites. Just may have to sleal yet another idea, LOL.

Code3, Thank you, you're welcome to it. lol I've gone from stuffing and frying them individually to casserole style... think I'm getting lazy! :mrgreen:

Ive never seen a cake that I wanted more!

Superb plate shot with that sauce and the gorgeous coloring of the baked, almost souffle like top Jeanie, that really is a cracker !
Fantastic shortcut too!

Back