MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Can BBQ that smells really good be really bad?

About 6 months ago Dickey's BBQ Pit opened at the mall here. I don't go to the mall much, but the few times that I have been there since it opened it has smelled incredible. I have a hard time believing that good BBQ can come out of the food court at a mall, but based on the great smell I think that I'm going to give it a try.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Man-up and try some! Otherwise you'll never know.

Maybe you could do a Chris Tucker and ask for "one rib". "Got change for a hundred?"

Man I'm Gonna Git You Sucka was such a great movie, but I digress.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I hear they vary, but the two that I've been to were both dreadful. No smoke flavor at all. Meat seemed like it had been in a warming oven for a very long time. Sides weren't good either and the soda was flat at both locations. One of the locations was right next to Dell campus in Round Rock, and it folded within 6 months or so. You'd think being next to a huge amount of potential eaters like that (over 15,000 employees at the time) they'd be able to stick around.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Give it a go, I seen some tasty stuff come off a trash can. This is the worst pit I've cooked on :
Haha

Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

My feeling is that if it isn't cooked on sight, then it isn't worth my money. And I'm pretty sure they get their stuff brought in ready to reheat.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
Man-up and try some! Otherwise you'll never know.

Maybe you could do a Chris Tucker and ask for "one rib". "Got change for a hundred?"

Man I'm Gonna Git You Sucka was such a great movie, but I digress.

That was Chris Rock brotherman!
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Like Huey Lewis said, "Sometimes bad is bad".

Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
Give it a go, I seen some tasty stuff come off a trash can. This is the worst pit I've cooked on :
Haha
This reminds me of a place I've eaten at. They had a smokin' device out front of the joint that smelled really good. Too bad the Q didn't taste as good. Don't know how they cooked their Q but they should take lessons from the attracter out front. If they were really cookin' Q properly they wouldn't need bait

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
stangman327
Full Fledged Farker

Dickey's opened a place in Crofton, Maryland and to be honest it sucked! It was so bad I wrote a review on Yelp and blasted them!

I keep saying that I'm going to give them a second try one day but I haven't worked up the guts yet.

M1
Hunsaker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 propane smoker
Weber Genesis II LX S-340 Gas Grill w/iGrill probes
Lodge Cast iron sportsman's grill
Masterbuilt electric digital smoker
stangman327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Local place in town started about 3 years ago, was real good to start out(or maybe I didn't know what good BBQ was yet) but has gone downhill fast but I drive by I every day and it still smells amazing.
kenthanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

When a Dickey's opened near us a couple of years ago and we stopped for some take out B4 a snow storm. Ordered some ribs, brisket, potato salad, and beans. When we got home we discovered they neglected to give us the brisket. Called to see what could be done and were told to drive back and pick it up. That was a 10 mile round trip and the blowing snow was up to 6" at this point with a -20 wind chill. The manager would not talk to us.

Yea it smelled pretty good inside the store, but the ribs tasted like they were done in a crock pot. Can't remember the beans, but the potato salad was what really sticks in my brain. Imagine a dish with the flavor of sweet mayo based grocery store potato salad with the consistency of mashed potatoes. Yuck!

Again, can't tell you about the brisket.

Haven't been back, but would like to hear other experiences.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

BBQ in the mall?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
My feeling is that if it isn't cooked on sight, then it isn't worth my money. And I'm pretty sure they get their stuff brought in ready to reheat.
I don't think so Tim. I was there at 8:30 in the morning, and it smelled as if there was hickory in the air. I've made plans with some of my consumers to go for lunch the week after next.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

What would it hurt to give it a try? Just prepare to be disappointed.

IMHO, Most chain/mall food places suck no matter what type of food they are selling, but occasionally you find a decent one. I had a really good brisket sandwich while waiting for a plane in the terminal at DFW. 99.9% of airport food sucks, but I've been pleasantly surprised a few times.

Give it a try!

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

It's easy to make Q smells. Get some hickory in a burn barrel and light it up. Doesn't mean a thing about the food.