MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Need help asap!!!

My Fire went out.... and I dont know when.

I started my smoke with 8 pork butts and 2 briskets. I was going to do 180 for 8 hours then finish at 250. (Cooking on a FEC-100)

I started last night, and went to bed with just over 5 hours left at 180. I set my alarm to go off when it was supposed to go up to 250 to make sure everything was ok.

When I got out there. My fire had gone out. And I am not sure long ago. The oven temp was at 150, and my fire pot was half full of pellets.

Internal temp of pork butts were in the 130s and the Internal temp of the briskets were upper 140s.

I got it fired up, but my biggest concern and main question is, is the food going to be ok?

Please respond ASAP... I may need to go get another load of meat if its bad. I'll be posting this on other forums in hope of getting the quickest response.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I would get the temp up to 250 as soon as possible. Cooking at that low of a temp is dangerous because you are leaving the meat in the danger zone for so long. When the meat is at 160 it should be safe. Just make sure you get the meat to 160 as soon as possible.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
I would get the temp up to 250 as soon as possible. Cooking at that low of a temp is dangerous because you are leaving the meat in the danger zone for so long. When the meat is at 160 it should be safe. Just make sure you get the meat to 160 as soon as possible.
Doing a two stage smoke in a FEC-100 is common to alter the smoke profile of the meat. My concern is the current internal temps of the meat and how long they have been there. I'm at 250 now, and like I mentioned above, never fell below 150.

I just need to know if my meat is still salvageable or if I need to trash it.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

No you don't need to trash it. As long the meat gets above 160 it will kill anything that might have developed.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
No you don't need to trash it. As long the meat gets above 160 it will kill anything that might have developed.
Do you think the quality of the end product will be any different?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I don't think it will be much different. Like you said you usually do a two stage smoke. I don't think your fire was out for very long. The FEC is insulated, right?

Μολν λαβέ

Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I don't think it will be much different. Like you said you usually do a two stage smoke. I don't think your fire was out for very long. The FEC is insulated, right?
Yeah, and it was still warm. It read 150 in the smoker, but the pork butts were only in the 130s

Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Most of us don't do such a low temp first stage for so long, which sounds like a long time in the danger zone all by itself, but that in combination with the unknown time that the fire was out, sure sounds iffy.

If it were me, I wouldn't chance it. Easy for me to say since I don't have a couple of hundred of dollars of meat at stake.

Do you have time to get and cook another load?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Most of us don't do such a low temp first stage for so long, which sounds like a long time in the danger zone all by itself, but that in combination with the unknown time that the fire was out, sure sounds iffy.

If it were me, I wouldn't chance it. Easy for me to say since I don't have a couple of hundred of dollars of meat at stake.

Do you have time to get and cook another load?
I do... but it would be close

Old 08-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pyle sure has more experience than I do. I would trust his advice on this more than mine.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #11
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I do have a question. What do you mean by altering the smoke profile in the meat. From everything I have read, meat stops accepting smoke at 120*. Are you trying to get more smoke into the meat by keeping it at a lower temp for so long?

Μολν λαβέ

Old 08-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I do have a question. What do you mean by altering the smoke profile in the meat. From everything I have read, meat stops accepting smoke at 120*. Are you trying to get more smoke into the meat by keeping it at a lower temp for so long?
Yes. The FEC-100 burns so clean that the the smoke taste isn't as strong as a stick burner or other smokers that use chunks of wood.

Doing a two stage cooks exposes the meat to smoke longer as it warms up. The FEC also smokes more at lower temps as well.

Fast Eddy himself does the 180 for 8 hours then finishes at 250 in his competition cooking.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #13
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Do you know what your temps at the end of 8 hours is?

Μολν λαβέ

Old 08-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #14
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Do you know what your temps at the end of 8 hours is?
Internal temps of the meat?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Yes, sorry.

Μολν λαβέ