Minion method question

chihuachsund

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, but in my reading, if I understand it right, you put lit coals on top of unlit coals.

My question is, don't the ashes from the lit coals suffocate the unlit coals?

Minion devotees, please impart your wisdom.

Thanks in advance!

As long as they have somewhere to fall through at the bottom of the charcoal grate/basket/pan there should be no problem with ash buildup. It's never been an issue for me with my kettle for example. The unmodified ECB is notorious for it since there is nowhere for the ash to fall through.

I haven't tried it yet, but in my reading, if I understand it right, you put lit coals on top of unlit coals.

My question is, don't the ashes from the lit coals suffocate the unlit coals?

Nope...If it did, it wouldn't be a very popular method...would it?

I always put my chimney in center of ring filled charcoal around pulled up lit chimney when ready poured hot coals in center does the job for me

Attachments

• minion.jpg
    minion.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 592
On my WSM I usually go out and give it a good shake about half way through the cook to make any ashes that are up in the charcoal ring fall down. You don't want to do this too much though cause it causes ash to circulate inside.

Like Socalnewb, I've also had good luck with building a ring of unlit charcoal but I use a coffee can in the center to drop the lit coals in. Then pull the can out with some pliers. I also use a second charcoal grate laid across the pattern of the orginal grate.

Like Socalnewb, I've also had good luck with building a ring of unlit charcoal but I use a coffee can in the center to drop the lit coals in. Then pull the can out with some pliers. I also use a second charcoal grate laid across the pattern of the orginal grate.

Just so somebody doesn't have to ask......:roll:.......Yes, you do have to cut the bottom of the coffee can out too!

So, Grill Sergeant, what do you use if you don't use kingsford, that doesn't give you ash problems? Lump, some other brand, straight wood, C4?

I used to stress over how my coals were arranged. Now I just dump about 10-15 lit coals in the middle of my unlit coals and put the top on. I've never had a problem with that.

The Minion method is a three step process.

Step 1. Light some briqs in your chimney.

DSC_0395.jpg

Step 2. Fill your charcoal ring with briqs.

DSC_0397.jpg

Step 3. Pour the lit briqs on top of the unlit ones and place your wood chunks on top.

DSC_0399.jpg

Jim Minion does not use this method any more, he uses this. :p

Langley%20(115).jpg

I used to stress over how my coals were arranged. Now I just dump about 10-15 lit coals in the middle of my unlit coals and put the top on. I've never had a problem with that.

I'm wit ya onehump. Just pour em on top. No friggin rocket science here...

So, Grill Sergeant, what do you use if you don't use kingsford, that doesn't give you ash problems? Lump, some other brand, straight wood, C4?

charcoal seems to give me ash problems. I think because they fit so tightly that the ash doesn't have anywhere to go. I using lump in stead.

I use Royal Oak from Walmart. Should be easy for you to get as you go check out your NC trophey War EAGLE!!!!! :-D

Back