MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Default Anyone do steaks on a UDS?

No pics so it didnt happen, but just for discussion sake.
I have done several steaks on my drums. I dont do them over a hot grate but just let them go @250ish til i get to the desired medium rare or what ever is requested. I have to say I have never had a better flavored steak. If you have never tried this method you are really missing out!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I have done it sorta like this. Maybe 24 inches off the coals for about 30 minutes, then drop then to an inch or two over the coals for a minute or less on each side.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

I did a tri-tip 275 on the drum with apple wood and lump .rubbed .smoked till 145 and rested it was so good i used the left overs for chili good eats

Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well I'm with you on this, but I'm using the MINI Drum. I don't care for charred meats, so the 15 gallon drum is perfect for steaks the way I like them.

CAB Ribeyes

Flank Steak

Tri-Tip

I've never paid attention to the center grate temps, but I start out low and give them some smoke then open all the drafts and finish them off.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

That flank steak looks delicious.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

that all looks delicious! I did a whole Ribeye the other day over apple. Took it to 125 the sliced and finished per request from the guys at the dealership I am working at. I gotta do that more often!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Well I'm with you on this, but I'm using the MINI Drum. I don't care for charred meats, so the 15 gallon drum is perfect for steaks the way I like them.
What grates do you use for the 15 gallon drum, I ca get a couple of more and might as well make a small grill. Are they the 18.5"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
that all looks delicious! I did a whole Ribeye the other day over apple. Took it to 125 the sliced and finished per request from the guys at the dealership I am working at. I gotta do that more often!
Man I wish I worked with you. Need a new service manager? Advisor? Shop foreman? Okay, how about oil change guy or detail?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
NorthwestBBQ

Nice steak, Big Boy...
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 02:00 AM   #9
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Jeff,
I do steaks, chops, tri-tip and chicken on the UDS and love the flavors. Smoke at 225-250 up to the desired temp and scarf em down. When I have time I smoke em instead of grillin them. The UDG has been gettin some rest lately due to that.

Hope to be in KC for Xmas, might have to kidnap the drum again, lol. Maybe we can plan lunch somewhere with the Mad Scientist and some other brethren.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #10
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

forgot to mention I smoked four filets the other night with the Rib O Lator and they came out great. I know, no pron didn't happen but the Woodford Reserve got in the way of the picture taking.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #11
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Never tried em at low temps. I like my rib eyes a little burnt on the outside and medium rare plus inside, so i believe in super high temps for them and only one flip. But i'll try it.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Well haven't done them IN the drum yet and I do like a little char on my rib eyes so this is how they were done. This is on the drums' charcoal basket.

Three minutes per side and just for fun, hit them with a bit of herb butter at the finish!

YUMMY!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
swamprb

[QUOTE=Hugh Jorgan;1055140]What grates do you use for the 15 gallon drum, I ca get a couple of more and might as well make a small grill. Are they the 18.5"?

Weber 14" Smokey Joe cook and Charcoal grates.

The Smokey Joe lid fits perfectly on the drum AND on the lid, I use it for beer can chicken or snuffing the coals.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I'm, at work now. I just measured it. Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll be picking up a Smokey Joe this weekend.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
No pics so it didnt happen, but just for discussion sake.
I have done several steaks on my drums. I dont do them over a hot grate but just let them go @250ish til i get to the desired medium rare or what ever is requested. I have to say I have never had a better flavored steak. If you have never tried this method you are really missing out!
those steaks look great. i just brought home Mexican. iv cooked steaks on the rib-o-lator a number of times, i apply some grillmore sweet rub and they turned out great. one nice thing about cooking on the rib-o-lator is, there are no grease fires, so the only way my steak gets consumed, is by me..
a torch and weed burner in case the others fail, or i just want to burn somthin.

B-O-B 206-999-0962 [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
[URL="http://www.ribolator.com/"]http://www.ribolator.com[/URL] [URL]http://www.bungeeclips.com[/URL]
Rib-O-Lator is offline   Reply With Quote