MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover >~<> View Post
Yello ball park mustard or spicy brown ?
Just yellow mustard for me

Three tips:
If I want pulled pork I pull the butt(s) of the smoker on the following three conditions:
1)Temp is 197-203
2)if you grab the bone with tongs it wiggles with ease as you rotate it or wiggle it
3)it probes like "buttah"
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Some may not agree with my technique, but I had my best pulled pork yet this weekend employing it. It is not extremely bark-heavy, but pretty bulletproof. Most say ignore internal temps and go by feel, but for a rookie w/ a thermo this will get you started until you develop a feel for it. Things I used:

UDS, 5 lb butt w/o a bone, KF blue, Hickory chips, homemade low-salt rub, real fruit juice in a spray bottle, foil, time.

-Rinse and pat the butt dry. Inject if you want. Then it's time to rub heavily, wrap in plastic, and let sit overnight
-remove from fridge to allow to warm up a bit before smoking
-Get UDS started, up to 250 deg running temp, and allow to burn off some white smoke for a half hour (ignore if using lump)
-put on, allow 5-6 hours to go by spritzing every 30-60 minutes QUICKLY, noting how it looks dry before you do so each time
-When it gets to about 165 int temp, you will see it look wet on its own ("weeping"), which is the fat actually melting and coming out of the butt. It's a good thing, and something you will see on other meats you smoke, too. At this point I grab some HD foil, and wrap it with a heavy spray job inside for the rest of the cook.
-Allow a few more hours to go by on the smoker while in foil, watching for 195-200 int temp. No smoking is happening now due to the foil, just cooking.
-Get a small cooler, and enough old towels folded in such a way to loosely fill the volume of the cooler that will not be occupied by the soon-to-arrive pork butt. Leave one towel on the bottom, and have the rest ready to put on top of the butt.
-At 195 int temp, start to probe through the foil. You'll feel the foil, but you are checking the meat's consistency. 200 is a pretty safe number, though, if you want to skip probing.
-When you feel minimal resistence (soft butter), get another sheet of HD foil, and place the wrapped butt onto it and re-wrap over the foiled butt. Place in the cooler, covering loosely with your other folded towels, and close it up.
-Wait. A half hour is good, but 2-3 hours would be better. It will stay plenty warm in there on it's own so there is no need to worry about it spoiling.
-Open a half hour before serving. There will be a lot of hot broth in the foil, so be careful. I pour out the broth into a grease-separating container and let the fat rise to the top for a half hour.
-Look for large areas/veins of fat, and remove and discard before pulling. Use utensils of choice and start pulling, looking for misc bone chunks and fat deposits.
-After fat has separated, add broth back into pulled pork and mix.
-Serve with cheap white buns, coleslaw and sauce on the table, and eat!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
bigmo
On the road to being a farker

this >> http://www.kickassbbq.com/boston.html

a plain old kettle

bigmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
Stevesonfire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
Hey! You gonna eat all that?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #21
smokehunter

For the record I was not trying to be an a-hole when I said go buy a WSM . I totally missed that you built a UDS, I just read the part about wanting help cooking a butt. my appologies to the UDSer's out there, if i had the tools i would build one too.... Now show us how that butt turned out.

Tags
pork, pull, Pulled, sauce, smoke, uds