MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
trucky9754
On the road to being a farker

Default Vending Trailer vs Competition Trailer

Howdy my fellow Brethren members. I have a question regarding trailers. I am going to be retiring in the next few months and will be taking up vending BBQ. I currently compete with my brother, Don as Pork Patrol BBQ. Don purchased an Extreme Trailer to use as a competition trailer along with some vending. The trailer I plan on purchasing will be used mostly as a vending trailer. I plan on becoming a carnie rat and travel throughout the summer vending at carnivals and fairs. My question to the group is what type of trailer do you believe would best fit my venture. I currently cook with a CookShack FEC100 and a newly purchased Rebel 28. I would like your opinions on what type of equipment I should have installed in the trailer such as vents, sinks and gas line's pre-run. All suggestions will be looked at as I am pretty new at the vending thing. I currently cater as a part-time job but haven't worked out of a vending trailer for a long time.Thanks in advance. Oh, yea, my pockets are not lined with gold, so I won't be buying a new smoker for quite a while. Thanks
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][B]Backyard Jambo Pit, [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][B]Gateway Drum Smoker[/B]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][B]Fast Eddy FEC100, [/B][/COLOR][/FONT][B][COLOR=#00b050][FONT=Verdana]Large Big Green Egg, [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]Weber Gasser[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[B]ATC Quest 24" BBQ Trailer[/B]
[B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]2-Ultra-accurate Thermopen [COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR] & [COLOR=darkorange]Orange[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]Official MOINKER since 2010[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]KCBS Member & [/COLOR][/FONT]Certified KCBS Judge[/B]

Last edited by trucky9754; 02-21-2013 at 10:00 PM..
trucky9754 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have seen a couple used for a fair price..think about your menu, french fries? then that means ansul system and 5 thou latter.. and also your hauling vehicle what can that do? I use a truck camper for sleeping on the road...but get ideas by looking and touching..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
teej
On the road to being a farker

Talk to your local health officials before spending any money on trailers.
teej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej View Post
Talk to your local health officials before spending any money on trailers.
I agree, they will tell you what you need, and depending how big of an area you plan to travel there might be different rules at different towns.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Do you want a trailer you can sleep in? Ours is a 20 foot trailer. the back 10 feet are kitchen, the front 10 feet are sleeping/storage. I do several events a year where I need to be on site, plus for the competition side it is nice not to have to sleep in the pickup truck.

BUT I really wish the kitchen had more room. Get two people in there and it is tight, get three and I'm getting clostrophobic.

Speak with the local Health inspector, but also with other Illinois vendors. IF Illinios inspectors are anything like Iowa's then you will get ten different answers by speaking with ten different county inspectors. Speaking to other vendors sometimes helps to sort through what the inspectors are trying to tell you.

What we did was to find a used trailer that someone else has already had licensed and inspected, had a buddy who has worked in BBQ for years inspect the trailer before we purchased and then after his approval we bought it. It passed with flying colors.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Also, Congratulations on your retirement! I can think of no better way to enjoy it than traveling and vending BBQ.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote