MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #136
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I really like these kinds of sauces, but I prefer spicy/vinegary sauces anyway. But, the thing that I really like about these sauces is that they are good modern adaptions of what African Americans used to use with BBQ. Even Henry Perry of KC had a sauce that was referred to as a "tear jerker." To me, it's almost like going back to those days in a time machine and actually tasting the BBQ from that era.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #137
Garman
On the road to being a farker

I am still enjoying the bottle I made!! I added some apple juice to it and I think it enhanced the flavor even more! Good stuff!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #138
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I am still enjoying the bottle I made!! I added some apple juice to it and I think it enhanced the flavor even more! Good stuff!!
Sounds good!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #139
bigabyte

Ok, my batch really matured on the third day. Nice! It's a LOT smoother now.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #140
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up

I just made my 2nd batch and altered my already deviated recipe as follows:
1 1/2 cup Apple Vinegar
1/2 cup Apple Juice
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
So I replaced the water and 1/4 cup of vinegar with apple juice, and once again I came to the conclusion that the Apple Cider Vinegar you have over there is not the same as simple Apple Vinegar here (and I just bought another 6 bottles of Apple Vinegar today).

I have looked through some pictures of Apple Cider Vinegar, and also it has the same amount of acidity (5%) it has a completely different color and is missing the zest. I guess this stuff is nothing like raw, unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar, but I can't believe such really is not available over here. I will have to start looking at some other places, at least it is not common and can not be found in regular super markets.

Nevertheless the new batch tastes delicious, you can not really determine the apple juice, because it is overlapped by the stronger taste of the vinegar, but it certainly adds a hint of fruitiness.

I really suggest to try this mixture, without any ready made hot sauce and water, but with apple juice and one teaspoon of your favorite pepper or chili powder instead.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #141
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Is the 47 varieties (heinz) apple cider vinegar okay? Is there a best one?
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #142
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
I just made my 2nd batch and altered my already deviated recipe as follows:
1 1/2 cup Apple Vinegar
1/2 cup Apple Juice
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
So I replaced the water and 1/4 cup of vinegar with apple juice, and once again I came to the conclusion that the Apple Cider Vinegar you have over there is not the same as simple Apple Vinegar here (and I just bought another 6 bottles of Apple Vinegar today).

I have looked through some pictures of Apple Cider Vinegar, and also it has the same amount of acidity (5%) it has a completely different color and is missing the zest. I guess this stuff is nothing like raw, unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar, but I can't believe such really is not available over here. I will have to start looking at some other places, at least it is not common and can not be found in regular super markets.

Nevertheless the new batch tastes delicious, you can not really determine the apple juice, because it is overlapped by the stronger taste of the vinegar, but it certainly adds a hint of fruitiness.

I really suggest to try this mixture, without any ready made hot sauce and water, but with apple juice and one teaspoon of your favorite pepper or chili powder instead.
Sounds good!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #143
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Is the 47 varieties (heinz) apple cider vinegar okay? Is there a best one?
I prefer Heinz, myself.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #144
ctfortner
Knows what a fatty is.

Going to try this tonight on some wings. This sounds very similar to Wickers (with hot sauce added) which I use ALOT. I expect this to be really really good for our taste buds.
ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #145
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Yesterday I had my variation of that sauce on THE BEEF in wraps, which played nicely, but not as good as the typical tomato based sauce (our sweet & tangy tomato sauce from last weekend was already finished). I should have made a photo of those wraps, they nevertheless were just awesome.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #146
DaGoomba
Knows what a fatty is.

Just made my batch this evening... Smells good. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #147
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
Yesterday I had my variation of that sauce on THE BEEF in wraps, which played nicely, but not as good as the typical tomato based sauce (our sweet & tangy tomato sauce from last weekend was already finished). I should have made a photo of those wraps, they nevertheless were just awesome.

There are parts of North Carolina where they believe it is sacrilege to put ketchup based sauce on pork or vinegar based sauce on beef. However, I think you should just go with what you like. I bet those beef wraps were tasty either way!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #148
Ijustwantedtolookatpics
On the road to being a farker

Just marinaded a pork tenderloin in shack attack sauce today! It's on the Akron now...thanks Boshizzle!
Weber gasser
Kinda-fast Grey Thermapen
Ijustwantedtolookatpics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #149
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantedtolookatpics View Post
Just marinaded a pork tenderloin in shack attack sauce today! It's on the Akron now...thanks Boshizzle!
Sounds good! Post some pics!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #150
DaGoomba
Knows what a fatty is.

Yep, I grilled my first tri tip today and used the shack attack I made yesterday,,,,, very good flavor together