MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #166
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
How much are they? I am in for an XXL!
Waiting to see what the printer comes back with for a price. Figure you want a regular one and not a baby doll version? ;)

Old 03-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #167
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

XXL baby doll with exposed midriff?
Ewwww!
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #168
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Waiting to see what the printer comes back with for a price. Figure you want a regular one and not a baby doll version? ;)
I want the one that you showed me today, that will be on black!

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #169
SmokinJon
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
As for the chimney/stack I wanted the nice Looking chrome stack we have all come to lust over from the jambo pits on tv. At the same time I wanted to experiment with a larger and more adjustable stack on this build. It may get changed again but I am pretty sure it will work like the smaller version I did before. Stale smoke and being able to raise it high enough off the rack is my only concern. Again easily fixed with the plasma cutter too. I purposely left the design of the inner adjustable sleeve long. Just in case.
Thank you. I am particularly interested in your lower / variable chimney stack design and whether this is similar to other reverse flow offset smokers from Lang and Meadow Creek or whether this is a totally new approach.

Are there any Lang / Meadow Creek owners out there who could confirm the location of the vent / chimney stack on the inside of the cooking chamber on their smokers and perhaps post a pic? The chimney / vent on a Lang appears to come from the highest point of the cooking chamber.

I am currently thinking of buying one and one of the criticisms I have read is that they burn a lot of wood / charcoal and I was wondering if perhaps this approach will have any effect on this. Perhaps this is what you wish to test...

Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #170
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJon View Post
Thank you. I am particularly interested in your lower / variable chimney stack design and whether this is similar to other reverse flow offset smokers from Lang and Meadow Creek or whether this is a totally new approach.

Are there any Lang / Meadow Creek owners out there who could confirm the location of the vent / chimney stack on the inside of the cooking chamber on their smokers and perhaps post a pic? The chimney / vent on a Lang appears to come from the highest point of the cooking chamber.

I am currently thinking of buying one and one of the criticisms I have read is that they burn a lot of wood / charcoal and I was wondering if perhaps this approach will have any effect on this. Perhaps this is what you wish to test...
Its a design I tested on my smaller smoker and liked the results so I added it to this one to see how it pans out. I will post the results for all to see. I also wanted everything completely adjustable from the intake, to the reverse flow return plate gap to the stack length, to the exhaust flapper. I am a hot rodder by nature and learned more than a couple things about intake runner length, and exhaust scavaging over the years. Figured, what could it hurt. Its just some extra time with the welder and a chunk of pipe. Besides it worked on the smaller smoker with a three inch pipe.

So if my theory and other tests scale up I am good. If not I can shorten the length and still keep it adjustable from the top all the way down to the grill deck. Test runs start either tomorrow or next week. Waiting on the call from my painter right now.

Last edited by Triple T BBQ; 03-31-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Triple T BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #171
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I hope you take it as a compliment when I copy your backlit stencil cut on those fenders for my next project (in the distant future) !

Every time I look at your build, I look at mine and think, "man I gotta do this, do that, do the other thing..." We're kinda settling in some areas to conserve cash and your build is makin' me feel bad about it!

My build is only solid until someone walks by yours and then all of the sudden I look amateur! Yep..I've decided..I think you're gonna need to stop updating us.. It's detrimental to my build!

On a more serious note: definitely post the results to the efficiency of that lower damper inside the chamber. I'm curious as to how that will work out. I really like the concept.

For the 1,000th time..you got a really pro build here. I can't wait to that bad boy(girl) in action!

Can't you just take a week of vacation to finish it up so the rest of us don't have to wait?!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #172
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
I hope you take it as a compliment when I copy your backlit stencil cut on those fenders for my next project (in the distant future) !

Every time I look at your build, I look at mine and think, "man I gotta do this, do that, do the other thing..." We're kinda settling in some areas to conserve cash and your build is makin' me feel bad about it!

My build is only solid until someone walks by yours and then all of the sudden I look amateur! Yep..I've decided..I think you're gonna need to stop updating us.. It's detrimental to my build!

For the 1,000th time..you got a really pro build here. I can't wait to that bad boy(girl) in action!
Well I snagged the idea while walking around the local boat show, so I can't really take credit except for incorporating it into my smoker design. Enjoy!

I wouldn't worry about what yours vs. mine vs. anyone elses looks like. If you like it, then thats all that matters. If you see us cooking some place, be sure to stop by, pull up a chair and have a cold one with us. One of the great things the misses and I love about the car show hobby is how many great friends we have made over the years just by having something sitting out and folks stop by to talk and visit. Same goes for this hobby.

We have met a ton of wonderful people along the way and don't intend to stop now. Life is way too short. If I can help in any way with your build, let me know. All the best.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #173
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I know I know. but when you're building at the same time others are, you always compare ! (at least I do)

I am legitimately amped by your build, though. Very inspirational! I can't remember if you said, but did you plasma cut the lettering or use a jigsaw? or neither?

If you're ever in MO..lemme know!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #174
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
I know I know. but when you're building at the same time others are, you always compare ! (at least I do)

I am legitimately amped by your build, though. Very inspirational! I can't remember if you said, but did you plasma cut the lettering or use a jigsaw? or neither?

If you're ever in MO..lemme know!
I hear ya. I did the lettering design with my friend ray on a fender that we had not bent yet but the basic shape was cut out. Next we laid out the lettering in the computer using a cad drawing, and then he dropped the flat stock for the fender onto the plasma table. Here is the video again. The plasma cutter in combination with his table make short work of the lettering and then we popped the sheet stock into the metal brake and bend it to spec to form the fenders.

Here is the link to the YouTube Video of the plasma table in action again.
http://youtu.be/hCTDW_lspvM

Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #175
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Picking up the smoker from the paint shop tonight. Can hardly wait to see how it comes out.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #176
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Picking up the smoker from the paint shop tonight. Can hardly wait to see how it comes out.
Looking forward to more pics!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #177
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

Did you figure out why the smoker looked semi- flat rather than gloss?
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #178
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by va92bronco View Post
Did you figure out why the smoker looked semi- flat rather than gloss?
Yes the company we purchased the paint from had incorrect color chart sheets on their website that did not match the datasheets. The lower temp paints were available in gloss, not the high temp one (1500 degree) we selected. They also didn't offer to send us any paint to correct this either but did correct their website shortly after that. A little disappointing exerperience but that water under the bridge at this point.

I am doubtful we will need this high of a temp the next time and I will be using the temp gun we have to check the external temps of the firebox and cooking box locations. Hindsight is always perfect don't you know.

If our firebox turns out to be too small then we will just fire the plasma cutter back up and lop it off there this fall and build a larger one like others on here have. Then just sandblast the whole thing again (cooker only) and repaint with the lower temp paint. Look for the data on the external temps to appear shortly. Dragging it home tonight and then will be tossing couple logs and charcoal into it tonight for a test run. I can't wait till the weekend. I still need to put our Menards special egg cooker together too.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #179
SmokinJon
Knows what a fatty is.

I am very sorry to hear about the paint but I think that is such a sweet smoker it does not need gloss paint to look good!

Is there a chance of some new pics? I would very much like to it in daylight. From what I can see it is going to be an awesome smoker.

I cannot wait to see some pics of it in action!

Last edited by SmokinJon; 04-11-2012 at 09:41 PM..
SmokinJon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #180
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^ What he said

Tags
jambo clone, offset smoker, reverse flow horizontal, trailer