Smoking a Butt today, Serving next week?

Stixx15

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello Guys, I have a question?
I usually Smoke a couple Boston Butts the day before It"s to be served The next day. However, Due to my work schedule The only time I could smoke a Butt for this Christmas is this Wednesday 12-19-18.
Do I put the whole Butt in the freezer after I smoke it? Do I cut it up before putting in freezer? Or is this safe to do at all?
Thanks for any advice, I"ve never been in this situation and unsure how to handle the Butts after they are finished.

Food is safe to eat with proper storage and temperature for up to 7 days.
If you plan to freeze, it will take longer to thaw when it is whole vs cut or pulled.

Do you have a vacuum sealer? You could pull the butts and seal with some of the juices and then reheat in hot water.

This. I've pulled, then vac sealed whole butts and frozen them, usually in single meal quantities. Keeps for months. Sealing and putting in the fridge should be fine next week.

Ok, So after i smoke them and wrap them good in some foil It's ok to refrigerate for up to a week or freeze?

No I don't have a vacuum sealer but I can get one. Where do you purchase them and where do I find the bags big enough to put a whole butt in? If I do vaccum seal them will it be ok to refrigerate them if I'm serving them on Christmas day? Which would mean that they will be in the fridge for approx. a week.

You can get a vacuum sealer at Walmart, Target, Sam's etc. The bags will be there with them. Do yourself a favor and pull the pork and then seal it up. It will be fine in the fridge, but even if you freeze, it won't take long to heat up in simmering/boiling water.

I would wrap tightly in plastic wrap or in ziplocks. Foil doesn't seal well and it can/will dissolve with extended contact with salt.

Ziplocks will work fine if you can't get a vacuum sealer before then. I like the heavier gallon freezer bags with the double zipper. The trick is to squeeze or suck out as much air as possible, but having some juices in there too will keep it moist just fine. Also a good idea to double check the temp on your fridge too if you want to keep it in there that long.

Back