Parsley question for judges

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
If an entry is on a bed of parsley and the parsley sticks to the bottom of portion you take, do you mark the entry down?

I wouldn't....

Would not be surprised though if there are a few gems of judges our there who would be sticklers and eat it with the parsley on and then mark the taste score down if it overpowered the other stuff.

parlsey is garnish...

Judges are not supposed to eat the garnish and it is NOT a foreign object, so u can not DQ or score down.

We had a long discussion here.

At a recent class that I helped table capt, the instructor specifically addressed this and stated that the judges should more of less use common sense, pick off the garnish and score as if no garnish stuck to the sample.

That said, if garnish sticks it's something a judge could perceive as something to grade down on. However, I personally think that's the minority of judges. (fingers crossed)

That said, if garnish sticks it's something a judge could perceive as something to grade down on. However, I personally think that's the minority of judges. (fingers crossed)

additionally, I would hope that a table capt would not allow that if a lowball score is noticed. Its garnish.. NO WHERE does it say we judge the garnish.

Just recently took the judging class.
I would view the garnish as garnish and it would NOT affect my score on the meat.

I'm not particulary happy to pull 6 sprigs of parsley off a gooey chicken thigh, but would not think ill of it or mark down.
ModelMaker

I'd never judge it down. I'd remove the parsley, discard it and judge the meat. At the last contest I judged, there was one judge who with each container would deliberately take extra parsley, using it to cleanse his palate between entries.

I would NEVER judge down for a bit of parsley (or more than a bit even) It is the meat we're judging, not the garnish.

I do sometimes leave a little parsley on my judge plate though, in case a particularly strong tasting entry numbs my tastebuds, a bit of parsley, followed by a saltine and a swig or two of water makes for a good palate cleanser

The one thing I was surprized by as a judge were the number of REALLY hot (spicy hot, not heat hot) entries that are sometimes turned in, particularly in chicken and ribs categories.

While I really like spicy food, some of these have been so peppered that my taste buds go pretty much numb, meaning I have to let them recover before I can taste the next sample objectively. I would definitely advise folks to save the 3-alarm spice level for home and freinds, and not let it loose at contests. Again, it really should be about the meat, not the sauce or rub.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this, I'll get down off my soap box now!:cool:

I plan to use Parsley this year, but as fill in and not as a bottom layer, based on my few observations judging, and whining I've heard from others judging. I'm not going there.

I assume the same goes if the parsley is intentionally sprinkled on top of the meat?

think maybe.... ya gotta watch for marking if u do that.

is it possible to get accused of marking, using garnish?

I can't see how they could judge it down. Sometimes lettus sticks to the meat too. It is not our falt. The only way to make sure nothing sticks to it, is to put nothing in the box. Saying that I think most sane judges would not take the points off.

Nope, and shouldnt happen (yea I know, fingers crossed). I have noticed (and I do as well) snag some parsley from the box for end of round (in case I have to get a bad taste out of my mouth that a saltine isnt gonna be enough for....and yes that has happened...)

Back