• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Buckboard Bacon Cure

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for Buckboard Bacon Cure? I just went to the Hi Mountain web site and they want like $8.69 for the cure (for 25 lbs of pork butt).. these seems excessive to me.

Weigh the meat then measure out 3% of that weight in salt, 1% in sugar and 0.25% in cure #1. No need to soak after this cure, just give it a quick rinse, pat dry then smoke

Does anyone have a good recipe for Buckboard Bacon Cure? I just went to the Hi Mountain web site and they want like $8.69 for the cure (for 25 lbs of pork butt).. these seems excessive to me.

The cure kit tells you how to use per pound, you don't have to do 25 pounds at once. (But it is only 3 pork butts anyway)

Here is a recipe I have used for pork butts. http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bacon-buckboard.pdf Leave out the liquid smoke of course if you are going to smoke it.

This is some buckboard I did a while back with only Morton Tender Quick for 8-10 days, rinsed then cracked black pepper before going in the kettle indirectly to an IT of ~145°.
picture.php

That's the wrong curing salt and WAY too much of it. Cure #2 is for meats to be dry cured for a very, very long time (months to years) and eaten without cooking. NitrAtes in cure #2 can develop into carcinogens when exposed to high temperatures - like frying. NitrItes in cure #1 quickly break down into nitric oxide for short term storage (think weeks) and won't be converted into carcinogens

You should also only ever use 2.5g of cure #1 per 1000g of meat. Also the salt content is at 5.2% in that recipe - unless you like your bacon really salty I'd stick with 2.5-3.5%. That way you don't need to soak the meat once the cure's completed

Last edited:
I've never heard of this! What is this smokey delicious looking treat? I've got to make some.

Where do you buy curing salt?

from len poli's recipe site..

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bacon-buckboard.pdf

Adjust the recipe to the weight of your meat..
and I added some Ketjap Manis (1/2 to 3/4 cup) - a "Very Sweet" soy sauce into the curing liquid mix...
I did not use liquid smoke but just netted and smoked them...
came out tasting fantastic !!

HPIM5138r.JPG

HPIM5166r.JPG

HPIM5182r.JPG

some cut thin for sandwiches and some cut thick to fry with some eggs or use to make eggs benedict.. :laugh:
HPIM5177r.JPG

Weigh the meat then measure out 3% of that weight in salt, 1% in sugar and 0.25% in cure #1. No need to soak after this cure, just give it a quick rinse, pat dry then smoke

Seems simple. Where can I buy cure #1? (Who has the best price on this?)

That should last you for a few years.. You only need 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat.. The price is good though..

Do you just rub the cure on the pork butt plastic wrap it? Or do you put these cure ingredients in some water in a zip lock?

should I slice up the pork butt before curing it, or cure it whole? btw, why did Garnaal put a net on the butts above? So he could squish it out into a nice tubular roll?

I'm quite excited to make this bacon! I just bought a case of 76 lb of pork butt from Sam's club today at $1.38 /lb. This sure beats the INSANELY PRICED $5+ per pound of bacon at the grocery store. I bet it'd taste better as well. I know it's not as fatty as bacon, but fried with a little extra light olive oil sounds healthy :)

should I slice up the pork butt before curing it, or cure it whole? btw, why did Garnaal put a net on the butts above? So he could squish it out into a nice tubular roll?

Cure it whole in a ziploc bag.
What I posted is Buckboard bacon from a boneless butt.
What garnaal posted looks like pork loin which gives you Canadian bacon.

Just rub the dry cure in, zip lock and refrigerate. Give the meat a bit of massage every 24 hours and flip the bag over. You'll want to cure until the meat firms up a bit, maybe 10 days? Depends how thick the cut is. There's no risk of over salting though as you want the meat to absorb all of that cure, so leaving it an extra few days won't hurt

Back