Look in the electrical conduit department at Home Depot or Lowes. They should have something that screws right into that bung hole, and even if it is galvanized its just being used for exhaust. You can even soak it in toilet bowl cleaner and that will eat the galvanizing right off of it.

Thats what I have on my UDS with about 30" stack on the exhaust and there is plenty of draw.

how did that thermometer check out?

was it off?

Yes it was. I pulled the other one I had off my little weber creation and it read 220-225 in boiling water, so i used it. Not sure what brand it is, its old. My meat therm read almost the same.

Ok I'm mid cook and I determined its a thermometer placement issue. I added a 4" od stack I made with some .032 aluminum I had at work. Now I have 4 ea 3/4" ball valve inlets plus two more 1-1/8" holes with a sheet metal damper.

Didn't have time to to buy a better thermometer by today but the one I'm using is pretty accurate. Its the placement on the door that's the problem. It's reading about 170, but I put the meat thermometer which is also accurate (tested in boiling water) inside on a grate with the probe not touching any metal, and it's maxed out at 200. So I'm somewhere above that I think.

I'll keep you updated on the progress.

It actually looks fine the added intake and exhaust won't hurt. Temp prob issues are your main culprit. That and adjusting to a new rig. Keep firing her up and you will learn how she likes to dance.

One thing that has nor been addressed is grease, I hope you provided a way to drain that baby, because I can imagine that once you fill her up with a full load you will had a lot of grease to deal with.

Welcome aboard neighbor

how did that thermometer check out?

was it off?

It actually looks fine the added intake and exhaust won't hurt. Temp prob issues are your main culprit. That and adjusting to a new rig. Keep firing her up and you will learn how she likes to dance.

One thing that has nor been addressed is grease, I hope you provided a way to drain that baby, because I can imagine that once you fill her up with a full load you will had a lot of grease to deal with.

Welcome aboard neighbor

Thanks Hook, I loves this place!!! Smoking brisket and a cigar with brew in hand on a fine Easter Sunday... can't really go wrong!!

The 4" chimney stack work great, I think I am going to add a 2-1/2" black iron pipe right above the 4" one going from firebox to meat chamber just becuase I am definitely loosing a lot of heat trapped in that top 3-1/2" of space. Plus on my cook yesterday I had all valves and intake holes wide open the entire time. I got good temps, but with everything open I really had no control. I'd rather have the ability to go much hotter than I need but be able to control it with the intake valves.

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys, I posted a new thread with my finished build (well, is it really ever finished?).
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2431854#post2431854

Attachments

• smoker 2.jpg
    smoker 2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 741
Back