• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

American Royal

heinz57

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did all the returning teams get registered this week. Today is the last day to get your old spot reserved. Anyone else notice the price increase? They raised the price on my spot 300 bucks. Jolene said she has taken alot of heat for the price increase. She also said they were trying to work something out with the KCFD about their extortion fee. It seems that the Royal is the only BBQ that they are concerned enough about public safety to charge for their so called fire permits. Surely it couldn't have anything to do with having a captive audience to extort. "Pay up or we'll shut you down"

Enough of my whining. I still look forward to the Royal every year, and this year is no different. Only 2 1/2 months to go. I can hardly wait. Lookin' to bring up my rib score a little this year! (and pork a whole bunch!!!)

The Royal and their jacked up prices, along with their buddies at the fire department can kiss my a**.

I have not seen the permit fees yet. Last year it cost me 135 bucks. I like jeff's take. It's just that after 15 years I'm not ready to give it up yet.

Pretty steep cost for sure, but the way I'm looking at it is....who knows, might not be invited to this dance again and want to experience it. Plus, hoping to put some faces to names and meet and see some folks I might not otherwise have an opportunity too.

Pretty steep cost for sure, but the way I'm looking at it is....who knows, might not be invited to this dance again and want to experience it. Plus, hoping to put some faces to names and meet and see some folks I might not otherwise have an opportunity too.

We'd go for an invitation like last year. We didn't get one this year (nmo more comps before the deadline). I'm just not paying the kind of money they want for the open anymore. Too pricey for my liking.

Some of the largest sites actually went down in price...
In stead of having the price per sq. ft. increase exponentially with size, they moved to a "one price" per sq. ft. model this year....

Don't remember what size I figured the break even at in Jan. but our spot went down in price.

I have one point to make in regards to the Royal... if our contest and all the other 30 to 80 or so team contests raised prices every year like the Royal does, we wouldn't have contests very long. Maybe the Royal would prefer that it's full of corporate parties and huge name teams with big money sponsors and leave the rest of us out. Maybe that's what they are trying to tell us with price increases. I'm not saying we didn't enjoy ourselves there last year, being in the invitational and all but if it was not for splitting costs with Lee and our sponsor money, no way would I have been able to afford it.

Needless to say, we don't care for the price increase either but it's a simple rule of supply and demand. I noticed the prize money per category was also boosted a little bit.

Needless to say, we don't care for the price increase either but it's a simple rule of supply and demand. I noticed the prize money per category was also boosted a little bit.

Evidently Kingsford is throwing some extra money in the prize pot as well. For teams that use Kingsford Competition Briquettes that are purchased at the Royal, they have an opportunity to double or even triple their prize money. I thought that was pretty sweet, especially since we are already using the stuff.

Are you assuming you are going to see some prize money?:wink:

Evidently Kingsford is throwing some extra money in the prize pot as well. For teams that use Kingsford Competition Briquettes that are purchased at the Royal, they have an opportunity to double or even triple their prize money. I thought that was pretty sweet, especially since we are already using the stuff.

We already use it too. I didn't like that fact that you have to buy it there though. :mad:. I get mine in bulk at a better price.
But a chance to double the winnings is nice.

Are you assuming you are going to see some prize money?:wink:

Heck no, that would be a sure way to set oneself up for disappointment. A top 50 in any category is exceptional. That said, we'll be trying our hardest to hear Boondoggle at some point.

We dont have an invite yet, But i signed my team up for the invitational.

not sure.. but since were not in the invitational, I think i heard voices tell me theres a possibility of a Brethren bash taking place in spot 928. :)

We dont have an invite yet, But i signed my team up for the invitational.

not sure.. but since were not in the invitational, I think i heard voices tell me theres a possibility of a Brethren bash taking place in spot 928. :)

SWEET!!!!! I am looking forward to meeting you there Phil!

:eek:Just turn into pumpkins at midnight:razz::mrgreen:

Back