MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #16
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

just checked.. yup $50 for 40 lbs.. free shipping...

to get them direct from BBQer delight its 48$ for 40lb..plus shipping.. I only use BBQ delight for my home use, so options are limited as to where.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #17
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
I get mine from Smoke Daddy, local LumberJack dealer. Also around this time of year, check Wally World, I think last year several Brethren were getting 40# bags of Pit Boss, I think, for $1.
Smoke Daddy near you... the same guys that build pellet grills? Must be hard to walk out with only pellets!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #18
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Us cheap farkers are paying .29 - .75 per pound...bbqchef33 is balling at 1.25.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #19
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
just checked.. yup $50 for 40 lbs.. free shipping...

to get them direct from BBQer delight its 48$ for 40lb..plus shipping.. I only use BBQ delight for my home use, so options are limited as to where.
I use a mix of 50/50 Hickory & Cherry BBQ Delight, and I don't know if it is still true, but Academy Sports and Outdoors which is big in Texas and surrounding areas has B&B Branded pellets which at one time were made by BBQ Delight.

How many pounds of pellets do you need to have on hand? In my case they compete with B&B and Stubbs charcoal for taking up valuable storage space in my garage. My FEC-100 burns less than a pound of pellets per hour at 250 degrees, so a twenty pound bag is good for way more than twenty hours of cooking. I start my rib cooks out at 180 for an hour in smoke mode before cranking up to 250 and doubt that I go through more than a couple of pounds of pellets over a four hour rib cook.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #20
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Smoke Daddy near you... the same guys that build pellet grills? Must be hard to walk out with only pellets!

Yep, about a half hour north from work. Dennis LOVES to talk about anything BBQ. I usually show up around lunch time and he always offers me lunch. Seems he's always smoking up something for lunch for his crew. He's shown me around the shop several times and likes to show off the latest thing he's working on.

GREAT GUY!

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 PM   #21
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:

Those 1%’ers are funny people... darn near burning golden pellets in them poopers [emoji857]
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #22
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

Couple people on CL here selling lumberjack pellets.... Current cheapest price is $17....or $15 per 40lbs if you buy 6 or more.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...693378362.html
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #23
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I used to use Cookinpellets exclusively and got them from Amazon. I haven't ordered them since the prices went way up. Mostly, now I buy the Pit Boss Competition Blend from Walmart. Price is good, they have no fillers, burn/ash rate is good, and any flavor variation is negligible. Plus, I can grab a bag or two at the store a mile from my house whenever I need.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 AM   #24
KevinJ

I have a Lumber Jack dealer in town, $10.99 for #20 bag.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #25
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Although I have never used them, bbqpelletsonline.com sets up group buys. I would have done the last one, BUT all members of the group buy have to pick them up at the terminal at the same time, which is only open Mon-Fri and load them themselves. Pretty much a non-starter if you have a day gig. Price was really good, something around $14/40# for lumberjack.

I generally use Pit Boss comp blend from Walmart. Cheap and have good flavor, IMO. I also have used B&B (which is rebranded BBQr's delight) from Academy. They're also fine, but double the cost on a $/lb basis, and I really don't tell any difference in the flavor.

I've also used some Traeger cherry pellets from the local Ace Hardware. Normally everything there is too dang expensive, but their occasional $5 coupon brings stuff down to the level where I'll try it.

For those who can get B&B pellets, I'm told that Oak is 100% oak. All else is 70% oak and 30% flavorwood.

I wish I could go back and find that test that was done on different pellets with blind tasting...and out of all the pellets (blends and single wood) tested only one was able to be identified. ;)
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #26
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
I use a mix of 50/50 Hickory & Cherry BBQ Delight, and I don't know if it is still true, but Academy Sports and Outdoors which is big in Texas and surrounding areas has B&B Branded pellets which at one time were made by BBQ Delight.

How many pounds of pellets do you need to have on hand? In my case they compete with B&B and Stubbs charcoal for taking up valuable storage space in my garage. My FEC-100 burns less than a pound of pellets per hour at 250 degrees, so a twenty pound bag is good for way more than twenty hours of cooking. I start my rib cooks out at 180 for an hour in smoke mode before cranking up to 250 and doubt that I go through more than a couple of pounds of pellets over a four hour rib cook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Those 1%’ers are funny people... darn near burning golden pellets in them poopers [emoji857]

I used tobuy bybthe ton and paid between 9-11$ a bag. But I would burn thru that In one season. Now, I only need 5-6 bags on hand at any given time and that can last me 6 months. I haven't fired up the pellet cooker since July, but burned through boatload of Oak and Cherry Styx on the stick burner. Like baccus said, the pellets compete 4 commodity space in my shed where I keep bags of Royal Oak and Kingsford. So I know I'm paying top dollar Plus but for my needs and the small quantity the convenience of throwing them into an existing order just to have a few on hand takes the sting off.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #27
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Lumber Jack 100% Flavor pellets. No base woods. Blends are printed on the bag. Group Buys from BBQ Pellets Online at around $0.44/#.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #28
gtsum
Babbling Farker

From lumberjack for about .44 per lb. 1000lbs at a time (last me about a year)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #29
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
From lumberjack for about .44 per lb. 1000lbs at a time (last me about a year)

Memphis Elite

Can you order the 1000 lbs shipped directly to your door, or is this part of a larger group buy?
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #30
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Default Where do you buy your pellets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Can you order the 1000 lbs shipped directly to your door, or is this part of a larger group buy?

Direct to my door this last time. Last year I ordered 1000lbs and picked it up at the local trucking center for about $100 less than it was this year to my door.

Comes like so

Memphis Elite

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote