Meater Block...It finally arrived

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A crowd funding project that actually happened after 3 years. A wireless thermometer. I geeked out and did an unboxing only because there is absolutely nothing on the internet in regards to the Meater Block. Only got to unbox it so actual usage to follow.

Gotta say it's very well packaged and presented when you get your hands on it

rVl51Goh.jpg

Cracked (or peeled) open the packaging

t2Q7E9hh.jpg

A thank you note

T6gLCINh.jpg

So the crowd funders also got a thank you gift

eepJph7h.jpg

Coasters

iTYoRMkh.jpg

The box

OXnax1Oh.jpg

Back of it

Zthuozrh.jpg

One side of the box

2KQsjSGh.jpg

The other side

TMPYNyWh.jpg

Inside the box

NXReg6Th.jpg

Some literature

VgIvPqbh.jpg

9pzxT5Sh.jpg

Here it is

7Z1aFBWh.jpg

Back of it

F7seKfEh.jpg

Came with batteries to start. Nice touch

zsP5MqNh.jpg

Looked way bigger in the pics but it's nice and compact. I got big hands though :grin:

tW2Taj7h.jpg

First question. Tag says insert past this line to avoid damage.

Does that mean you can’t use one probe for ambient pit temp??

Oh. And your Meater makes your hands look small.

****Correction On Ambient Temps***

Ok scratch what I said about ambient temps. I'm telling you I'm discovering this as I go along. Apparently the ceramic tip (exposed rectangular end) gives you the ambient temp of the grill or the oven. The ceramic end is good to withstand heat over 500*.

First question. Tag says insert past this line to avoid damage.

Does that mean you can’t use one probe for ambient pit temp??

Oh. And your Meater makes your hands look small.

It's designed to only be inserted into meat. The meat provides insulation for the sensor that's located at the tip. Max the sensor can withstand is 212*. So you can't use it for ambient temp reading unless you're in the warming to death crowd. :grin: Obviously you're not cooking anything more than 212* so I suppose it works.

Oh and thanks! :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Nice job! Thanks for detail, I haven't seen much on the block online either.

Looks nice enough to set out and leave. I can't imagine setting my maverick out as a show piece. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Meater

Hi All Do I need both a tablet & a cell phone to use Wifi on the Meater?
Should be good for rotisserie cooks.
Thanks DanB

Hi All Do I need both a tablet & a cell phone to use Wifi on the Meater?
Should be good for rotisserie cooks.
Thanks DanB

Yes. You need a tablet/phone with Bluetooth to set the thing up. At least with the old and inferior single unit (which I have) to extend the range (now they say up to 33' for an oven or up to 10' for a BBQ) you had to have a phone/tablet act as a relay to catch the BT signal from the probe then send it up via WiFi so a different phone/tablet running the Meater App could get the signal over WiFi (the new Meater + probes charging base is a Bluetooth extender which claims up to 165').

You can now share your cooks over IM/SMS email etc... I can't recall if you can control via that or just view. The odd thing was even though my unit was set to F the shared page defaulted to C. Confusing until I realized what was going on and changed the units of measure.

I purchased it to use with my Joetisserie. I've found it's ambient end to be ~50-75 degrees off my Guru, Smobot, Egg thermo. However because I have those I'm not overly concerned about its ambient reading. The biggest drawbacks I've had are 1. The probe has a rather large diameter 2. The probe needs to be inserted fairly deeply into the meat and 3. While the app is supposed to calculate carryover cooking to your set temp ever time I've relied on it the food was overcooked.

Looking forward to getting mine!

I wonder if old mate woodpelletsmoker will pop up?

Nice. Mine is on a FedEx truck and should get arrive any day now.

Have you connected the base unit to your wifi yet, and if so, what did that process involve?

Nice. Mine is on a FedEx truck and should get arrive any day now.

Have you connected the base unit to your wifi yet, and if so, what did that process involve?

Awesome!

Not yet. I used it in standalone mode. Next cook Im connecting to WiFi. Just downloaded the app. Been real busy but in the next few days I will.

I assume, like many wifi devices, it will have to be connected to in ad hoc mode for the initial setup. And that's fine.

What I'm less than clear on, is if the Block's wifi can be changed to infrastructure mode and be configured to connect directly to my routers's wifi network.(like my CyberQ Wifi)

I hope that is the case.

I assume, like many wifi devices, it will have to be connected to in ad hoc mode for the initial setup. And that's fine.

What I'm less than clear on, is if the Block's wifi can be changed to infrastructure mode and be configured to connect directly to my routers's wifi network.(like my CyberQ Wifi)

I hope that is the case.

Cyber WiFi was exactly my thought. I'm thinking ad hoc only but will try.

Mine came today as well. The build quality is better than expected. Charging up now.

Nice to hear that they are arriving and people are satisfied with them. I am anxiously awaiting the email notification for shipment of my Block.

Back