21.5 kettle extender?

EyeBurnEverything

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ive seen something called the barbecue stacker but it looks to be based in the UK and from what i can tell they are out of stock anyway. Im guessing its no longer made. Anyone know of another product preferably in the $50 and under range? Something around 12 inches in height to add an extra grate.

yep most accessories do

I could justify a rotisserie because it has moving parts/electronics..ect

But not a piece of sheet metal folded into a ring and welded together. I may just buy a piece if sheet metal and bolt it together. It will get the job done. Hell, for that price i might as well buy a arc welder from harbor frieght.

Don't know if I still have the one that I made for the same reason. As best as I can describe it, I cut out section from an old 55 gallon drum. The section was about 1' thick/wide. I then cut it down the width and put it in the Kettle (it rested on the grate holders.) Measured it out to the diameter/circumference of the Kettle, more or less. Cut off the excess and then welded the ends back together. I'm sure you could use bolts too. Basically, my version of a CB. Much cheaper too. I think I made it cause I wanted something to create space for beer can turkey or something.

Edit: I remember that the section I cut off from the drum was from the rounded opening end and then about 1 foot down from that. The rounded end made for a better fit for the kettle lid to set upon. I guess you could even do the cut outs for a rotiss set up too.

Could use the same concept to make one of these too:
https://www.kettlepizza.com/

Bob

Last edited:
With 3 bolts, 6 washers and nuts, and a extra 22.5" food grate, you can do this.
picture.php

picture.php

It's 2 3/8" high, fits under the lid, and is good enough for ribs, chicken, and country style ribs. A smaller grate can have taller legs.

I picked up a used rotisserie off of CL for $20 and modified it to accept some Kettle Pizza parts. You don't need to cut the opening like I did, but you can see the bolts I added at the top of the ring will hold a cooking grate and still be able to put the lid on. I think the rotisserie ring is only about 7", but might be something to think about.

30747602606_18456c2345_c.jpg

This pic is the first one I made and now have the newer style that doesn't have the tabs that let it rest on the kettle bowl...(looks cleaner imho)

I thought of using standoffs to make a second grate, but i kind of want to take the same route as Bob to gain height for larger meats. I basicly want to make a mini wsm.

I have a similair smoker to a wsm but its too heavy to move around, and since i normally cook off my porch, when we get unexpected rain i need help to lift it onto the porch.

So basicly i want an optional half size wsm.

Is there an aluminum stock pot that size that you could cut the bottom out of like those that are used to make a Smokey Joe mini WSM?

I don’t know either Bob, it’d be wort a shot, heck a good restaurant supply even sells used stuff to do it cheaper.

If there is a stock pot made that big that is...

To get the height you want and keep it at $50 or less, cutting up a drum seems like the quickest/easiest way to get what you want.

Last edited:
Ive seen something called the barbecue stacker but it looks to be based in the UK and from what i can tell they are out of stock anyway. Im guessing its no longer made. Anyone know of another product preferably in the $50 and under range? Something around 12 inches in height to add an extra grate.

I use my rotisserie ring.

azEGe2n.jpg

I've been playing with this idea for quite a long time, and the section of a 55 gal. barrel is the best option I've found. Just haven't found a free barrel yet. I could just use my homemade rotisserie ring. So far, the second rack on legs has done what I wanted.

I've been playing with this idea for quite a long time, and the section of a 55 gal. barrel is the best option I've found. Just haven't found a free barrel yet. I could just use my homemade rotisserie ring. So far, the second rack on legs has done what I wanted.

If i had the rotisserie accessory i would probably use it. But i want to use it for smoking and it looks like smoke would leak like a sieve.

I know that you want to add a short section, this falls more into the stock pot idea but still may be viable for your predicament. I would just build a UDS, you start adding height to the kettle it can get awkward. Then you end up shortening the legs, or making shorter ones from EMT. Then you do not want to grill on it because its too low, and its a hassle to change legs. etc etc
There is no perfect solution, but its all how you look at it.

Back