Where do you buy your pellets?

Us cheap farkers are paying .29 - .75 per pound...bbqchef33 is balling at 1.25. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Those 1%’ers are funny people... darn near burning golden pellets in them poopers [emoji857]

I used to use Cookinpellets exclusively and got them from Amazon. I haven't ordered them since the prices went way up. Mostly, now I buy the Pit Boss Competition Blend from Walmart. Price is good, they have no fillers, burn/ash rate is good, and any flavor variation is negligible. Plus, I can grab a bag or two at the store a mile from my house whenever I need.

I have a Lumber Jack dealer in town, $10.99 for #20 bag.

Although I have never used them, bbqpelletsonline.com sets up group buys. I would have done the last one, BUT all members of the group buy have to pick them up at the terminal at the same time, which is only open Mon-Fri and load them themselves. Pretty much a non-starter if you have a day gig. Price was really good, something around $14/40# for lumberjack.

I generally use Pit Boss comp blend from Walmart. Cheap and have good flavor, IMO. I also have used B&B (which is rebranded BBQr's delight) from Academy. They're also fine, but double the cost on a $/lb basis, and I really don't tell any difference in the flavor.

I've also used some Traeger cherry pellets from the local Ace Hardware. Normally everything there is too dang expensive, but their occasional $5 coupon brings stuff down to the level where I'll try it.

For those who can get B&B pellets, I'm told that Oak is 100% oak. All else is 70% oak and 30% flavorwood.

I wish I could go back and find that test that was done on different pellets with blind tasting...and out of all the pellets (blends and single wood) tested only one was able to be identified. ;)

Us cheap farkers are paying .29 - .75 per pound...bbqchef33 is balling at 1.25. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use a mix of 50/50 Hickory & Cherry BBQ Delight, and I don't know if it is still true, but Academy Sports and Outdoors which is big in Texas and surrounding areas has B&B Branded pellets which at one time were made by BBQ Delight.

How many pounds of pellets do you need to have on hand? In my case they compete with B&B and Stubbs charcoal for taking up valuable storage space in my garage. :razz: My FEC-100 burns less than a pound of pellets per hour at 250 degrees, so a twenty pound bag is good for way more than twenty hours of cooking. I start my rib cooks out at 180 for an hour in smoke mode before cranking up to 250 and doubt that I go through more than a couple of pounds of pellets over a four hour rib cook.

Those 1%’ers are funny people... darn near burning golden pellets in them poopers [emoji857]

I used tobuy bybthe ton and paid between 9-11$ a bag. But I would burn thru that In one season. Now, I only need 5-6 bags on hand at any given time and that can last me 6 months. I haven't fired up the pellet cooker since July, but burned through boatload of Oak and Cherry Styx on the stick burner. Like baccus said, the pellets compete 4 commodity space in my shed where I keep bags of Royal Oak and Kingsford. So I know I'm paying top dollar Plus but for my needs and the small quantity the convenience of throwing them into an existing order just to have a few on hand takes the sting off.

Lumber Jack 100% Flavor pellets. No base woods. Blends are printed on the bag. Group Buys from BBQ Pellets Online at around $0.44/#.

From lumberjack for about .44 per lb. 1000lbs at a time (last me about a year)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From lumberjack for about .44 per lb. 1000lbs at a time (last me about a year)

Memphis Elite

Can you order the 1000 lbs shipped directly to your door, or is this part of a larger group buy?

Can you order the 1000 lbs shipped directly to your door, or is this part of a larger group buy?

Direct to my door this last time. Last year I ordered 1000lbs and picked it up at the local trucking center for about $100 less than it was this year to my door.

Comes like so

2094f6ea74152187429a960ea1f5ef5e.jpg

Memphis Elite

Direct to my door this last time. Last year I ordered 1000lbs and picked it up at the local trucking center for about $100 less than it was this year to my door.

Comes like so

2094f6ea74152187429a960ea1f5ef5e.jpg

Memphis Elite

That’s awesome! I’d gladly pay an extra hundred if to my door. So $440 total for that order? Can you pick different wood types?

That’s awesome! I’d gladly pay an extra hundred if to my door. So $440 total for that order? Can you pick different wood types?

yes, that was about the total. Obviously price differs depending on where you are located and the distance and route from the upper midwest. Buying a whole ton is a good bit cheaper, but I dont have enough room to store that many bags...could resell the extra on Craigslist for a few bucks I suppose, but that is too much hassle for me to deal with.

You can pick and choose your types of pellets...some cost more than others. I think the 100% hickory and 100% cherry cost a bit more than the MHC blend for instance. I got those 3 types this time....next time I will likely add some pecan in there and skip the MHC

A little late in chiming in here but Lumberjack 40lbs / $20.00 + tax BBQ Headquarters in Simi Valley. Also I think there is a bulk price which I didn't ask about. Nice store ...

so lumberjack is pretty much the goto brand for pellets huh?

That’s what I’ve understood

I have a rural king about 8 minutes from my house. Went ahead a picked up 3 20 pound bags of hickory, pecan, oak, cherry, and apple each. They also had what appeared to be a hickory charcoal variety and a competition blend. Guy who works there said they will be in stock year round.

Last edited:
A little late in chiming in here but Lumberjack 40lbs / $20.00 + tax BBQ Headquarters in Simi Valley. Also I think there is a bulk price which I didn't ask about. Nice store ...

Now that's a good price. Can't find anyone locally that sells LJ. I was going to buy on Amazon for $1 #. That price is worth a drive out to the valley to get some, if I can find the time to do it.

Now that's a good price. Can't find anyone locally that sells LJ. I was going to buy on Amazon for $1 #. That price is worth a drive out to the valley to get some, if I can find the time to do it.

The LJ website list Maximum Wholesale as a distributor. tel:5629723838
Also BBQ Pellet Barn in Whittier.

It varies for me. B&B and Pitboss competition are at Satin's Warehouse aka: WalMart. I have Green Mountain pellets that I like from a local farm and home store a mile or so down the road. There are also some cheap pellets that I havent tried yet from Fiber Energy Products and Treager, both at a local Sutherlands.

Back