MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Freezing pulled pork

Every year my sister attends a folk festival, and I usually do some meat for her to share with folks in camp. This year she has requested pulled pork. I'll probably cook a week or two in advance and freeze it for pickup later.

I'm planning to pull it and FoodSaver it. My question is with or w/o sauce? Probably doing a vinergar based sauce. Also considered freezing the butts whole since she will have access to a pit to warm it up, and package the sauce seperately.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

The FoodSaver will be ruined if you have too much liquid in the bag. It will get sucked into the pump and kill it

I use the Foodsaver for long term, portion sized helpings, and boil the bag to reheat.

For short term storage, I might just freezer bag them and keep it easy.
Just a thought.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

If you are freezing just the pork (no sauce), you can use the Foodsaver without a problem. Just take a paper towel and fold it so it fits across the bag, and put it in just above the pork. Then, any liquid that would normally get sucked in will be soaked up in the paper towel.

Or, freeze the pork in blocks in containers, with or without sauce, and then vac seal the blocks...

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
dxesmkr
On the road to being a farker

I've done it both ways and both ways work.I agree with Tim for short term I would use a freezer bag.You could also pull it,put in a pan,seal it with foil, freeze,and will be ready for pit on reheat.Right before heating add some apple juice and water to the pan for moisture and steam.Send the sauce along seperate.Your sis would appreciate less prep work vs. having to pull it there.

Willy T.
www.willytsbbq.com
dxesmkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
jt
Babbling Farker

Already froze mine for use in a couple weeks. I just expanded my normal thing of foodsavering it for home use. No sauce and then I'll boil it to thaw/warm and throw it in a roaster with some sauce. I don't sauce it much - just enough to keep it moist as it reheats.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote