MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
BFoster
On the road to being a farker

Default Chopped/Sliced Brisket

In my life I've never considered chopped brisket except when it came to ends. I've had a situation arise where I own a kitchen in Missouri and cost per pound of brisket is coming into my attention and getting good even cuts of that thru the point is an exception.

I'm only serving 3 days a week (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and it's not always to my perogative to just serve sliced. The menu I'm serving is very menial...it's Pulled pork sandwich, sliced brisket, beans, coleslaw and potato salad. This is on top of the appetizers. I have a regular corporate job, didn't advertise and sold 30 plates the first day, 70 the next and close to 100 on Saturday.

The other thing I have to consider is that my daughter will be with me for the school year, I'm a rare exception....she lives here with me during school (dang! 7th grade!). I have no family here, she'll be my help. :-)

Here's my real question, I'm not bitching...I promise. I wanted to just make things across the board and serve sandwiches....pulled pork, brisket...etc. Is it acceptible to just chop the whole brisket for sandwiches?

-Brian
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Smokey Joe 10898 Simpsons Anniversary
Spoooon!

Any time, come on down!
BFoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFoster View Post
Is it acceptible to just chop the whole brisket for sandwiches?
Sure. The flat might have a different texture. Try one out and see what you think. Might seperate the point when the flat is done, and cook the point a little longer. Get a big cutting board and 2 cleavers and chop away. If you like it, serve it, if not offer sliced and chopped.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
BFoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
Sure. The flat might have a different texture. Try one out and see what you think. Might seperate the point when the flat is done, and cook the point a little longer. Get a big cutting board and 2 cleavers and chop away. If you like it, serve it, if not offer sliced and chopped.

I agree, I've had nothing but compliments on the brisket. I'm just trying to make it easier in a way. I've had the Summer off(just from my daughter). I just want to go all Benny Hanna on the brisket and make it quicker. :-)

I'm just trying to make sure I'm not making a huge bbq mistake and doing it wrong. Truthfully, I think it makes a wicked sandwich.
Spoooon!

Any time, come on down!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

As a customer I'd have no issue ordering a chopped brisket sandwich off a menu if I was looking to have brisket and that was the only option.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
BBQ Grail

I like chopped brisket sammies...a lot.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
mbshop
Babbling Farker

wouldn't pulling/shredding be about the same? the tips could still be chopped.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
BFoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
wouldn't pulling/shredding be about the same? the tips could still be chopped.
Yessir, I agree. IMHO with when you buy a case of packed briskets though...it's a crap shoot how many nice slices you can get off of a given brisket. Sometimes the grain changes and sometimes you just miss the temperature by a few degrees.

I think with the time I have and the folks that have answered...I'll go with chopped for the meantime. Out of each brisket, I'll probably have about 10-12 slices that I'm very proud to serve....the rest...are wicked but not up to a standard I've been used to.

-Brian.
Spoooon!

Any time, come on down!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
thillin

With chopped beef, you can offer it wet(sauce mixed in). Could be a way to save a brisket that is a tad dry.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
BFoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
With chopped beef, you can offer it wet(sauce mixed in). Could be a way to save a brisket that is a tad dry.
Yep, I agree....though that hasn't been the case yet. The problem I have is that I slice a bunch of nice brisket, and in the fumble from heat to table...it gets broken.

Also, I'd rather use all of the brisket, I don't mind putting burnt ends into the fridge.....I mind trying to find new recipes for the brisket I don't think is fit. I think I need to change my attitude. ;-)

dig ya!
Spoooon!

Any time, come on down!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 AM   #10
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I prefer a chopped/pulled brisket sandwich with a mix of flat & point than sliced. Burnt ends sandwich would be great as well
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #11
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Chopped/pulled sammies are no problem in my book. For a commercial operation I think that is the way to go for the reasons you pointed out plus being able to hold the chopped/pulled with a little sauce much better/longer.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 AM   #12
Norcoredneck

Chopped also makes some mean chile when it gets a little colder!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I prefer a chopped/pulled brisket sandwich with a mix of flat & point than sliced. Burnt ends sandwich would be great as well
I agree

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

One of the restaraunts here serves sliced or chopped brisket sandwiches. They keep a point and a flat on the cutting board and cut it as you order. Chopped gets point and sliced gets flat. Keeps everyone happy.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

So which would you guys serve if you had to pick one?

Chopped or pulled?

I think pulled would be less labor intensive........maybe

Mix the flat and point or separate?

Good thread Bfoster!

I'm starting a personal chef/catering business........
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote