MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Default Brisket Sandwich- Chopped or Sliced?

I started vending a few weeks back and so far things have gone well. It's a small venue which is fine since I'd rather take it slowly so I don't get overwhelmed. As part of my menu I serve a brisket sandwich. I've been slicing the brisket and then cutting the slices in thirds thinking it would be easier to pile on the bun. I find myself spending a lot of time trying to stack the pieces of brisket on the bun. I'm thinking there's got to be a better way, maybe serving it chopped.

If you vend brisket sandwiches are you serving it sliced or chopped? What do you feel are the advantages of serving chopped versus sliced? Also, I pre-cook my meat a day in advance and re-heat on site. How well does this work for chopped brisket? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Chopped is the only way to go. Re heat with some broth covered tight and you will have a great product.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Agree with Jacked Up - chopped brisket sammies. Advantage is it looks WAY bigger for the same portion size.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the feedback! Am I gonna need a cleaver to chop up brisket or can this be accomplished using a chef's knife?

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

You can chop properly cooked pork and brisket with a knife. I use a cleaver, but that's just because I grew up with one. Either will work.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
You can chop properly cooked pork and brisket with a knife. I use a cleaver, but that's just because I grew up with one. Either will work.
Thanks, I'll be chopping up some brisket today. I appreciate the feedback.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer

Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Chopped brisket or chopped beef? If it is chopped you might as well use a cheaper cut of meat and do chopped beef.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Paulie
Knows what a fatty is.

For what it's worth, as a consumer, I'd rather be getting sliced brisket when I order a brisket sandwich. If you're going to chop, use something cheaper and sell chopped or pulled beef as mentioned above.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Beef isn't beef. Not all beef tastes like brisket.

When I've done "chopped brisket" in the past, I used select graded meat. Once chopped it was splashed with a little sauce for moisture and seasoning. Marketed as "BBQ Beef" it was a big seller.

Brisket worked fine for me...and was cheap.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
For what it's worth, as a consumer, I'd rather be getting sliced brisket when I order a brisket sandwich. If you're going to chop, use something cheaper and sell chopped or pulled beef as mentioned above.
I feel the same way about brisket sandwiches. I want it to be sliced very thin not chopped. That said I have had some tasty chopped brisket sandwiches but I'd never serve one myself.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

My first question before ordering a brisket sandwich is "Is it sliced or chopped?" If it's chopped, I pass...

I think you're overthinking it with slicing it into thirds. fold it over and serve.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Curious as to why you prefer sliced over chopped brisket. We recently switched to chopping & have seen sales go up considerably. Could just be a bunch of yankees not knowing better.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle

Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Always sliced.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Why always sliced, Michael?

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle

Old 05-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Chopped or sliced I could really care less. I will agree with the reheating with some broth or steaming it so to speak. I don't know what it is but my brisket always seems dry when I reheat it. A few weeks ago I tried something new for reheating and it was awesome. I almost would have bet it was not my dry old brisket. For lunches I use a Tupperware style dish that has three sections. Its nice for reheating and keeping stuff separated. Well I decided after reading all this broth talk to try something new. I put a couple of splashes of water in the part of the container with the sliced/chopped brisket. Then reheated it in the microwave. I have to tell you it did something to my brisket that I was like....Damn that was good! The next time I make brisket at home for the family I think I'm going to use my steamer pot to warm it back up and see how it does!