• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Lid

Ramiro0727

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I'm building a few UDS smokers for some buddies of mine. I having trouble deciding which way I should do the lid. I'm thinking of drilling 8-3/8" holes on the lid. But as u can see by the picture I attached . The easier way would be to weld a smoke stack on the bung hole thats already there. Can you guys help me decide? Also posting pics of your lids well be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ramiro

Attachments

• 1357577282463.jpg
    1357577282463.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 202
Why not just get a 2" threaded pipe nipple and use that? Not that you even need it. A plastic cap from a spray paint can keeps the rain out too.

From the research i have done if u use the bung hole thats already there or just one exaust it creates hot spots and u will have to rotate ur lid to keep it even. if u do the 8 holes it will distribute heat better im in the process of building mine now for starters im using the 2in bung thats already there and if it doesnt work out i can go from there just my 2cents

I've layed that same pattern out on a lid just like yours. Take your hole plugs that came with the lid and screw them back in. At that point you can lay your holes out in a manner so as not to have any of your new holes landing on top of the 2 old holes. It's completely do-able. May have to try it a couple of times to get right. But that way you eliminate hot spot issues.

Also I would recommend going with eight 1/2" holes instead of 3/8".

As I look at your pic again, I realize my post might be a little confusing. You've got your 8 holes layed out, but they are not equally spaced. My point is its possible to lay them out, all equally spaced, and not be on top of any existing hole. I've done it!

One tip I might add is google "divided circle template". It helped me understand how to go about laying out the holes.

Jason :)

I opted to drill eight 1" holes (No Hot Spots)
I got rid of plastic at bunghole and air hole.
I put metal plugs in those.

I took 1 1/2" long X 3/4" steel pipe and screwed on an end cap.
I drop one of these in each exhaust hole when not in use.

When I get ready to shut down my fire, I close my Intake pipes at the bottom of the drum with caps, and close the one valve
and drop plugs into the holes. Fire is smothered out quickly.

Last edited:
I have a 2" on my original UDS and have some cold spots. My most recent UDS has 3-3/4" pipe nipples evenly spaced on the lid. Some have said that is not enough exhaust however, my temps prove different. Here is a pic.

image_zps4c43723b.jpg

Ignore the thermometer, it was only there for the initial burn in.

Weber lids only have one opening and work real well. I haven't built as many as Skidder but I can't tell the difference between my first one with the 8 holes and or any of the others with bung's/ Weber lids. But it is personal preference :)

Good luck and welcome to UDS ownership
pwa

• Thanks
Reactions: jrn
Thanks everyone for your input. After looking at the holes I have spaced. To evenly space them out . I can only get 6 holes instead of 8 . As my template I'm using a 14 " flange gasket. Well this work 6 holes instead of 8.

never understood why some think there's cold and hot spots. All my food cooks just fine. Guess some over think this cooker.heat it up,throw the food on and cook away

I've not cooked with a flat lid using the multiple hole exhaust design,but I have cooked using:
1. Flat Lid with 2" pipe nipple in bung....
2. Weber Lid
3. Weber Base as Lid

I've not had any real issue with "hot spots" using
any of these lidding methods....

Good Luck with what you choose to do...it'll be fine...

Last edited:
I have used the 2" bung with six " of pipe and also used 4 1" holes. The 4 holes seem to do better as far as temp control go, but both seem to get the job done.

CHI_0525.jpg

C0B4B331-3E20-4603-9518-F7F1A8B3B386-757-00000131CC8629C5.jpg

Amazing still tying to make a completly fine thing into something different. There have only been about 10,000 drums bulit with a 2" bung and a 6" long nipple screwed into it. Even though, its still morphing and transforming into other things.

All I have is a couple questions:

How do you keep the water out of your drum?
what about cooking in the rain?
What about that water runing your left over coals?
Do you know moisture in your drum equals mildew & mold?
How do you snuff your coals if your done cooking and still have a 1/2 basket of coals left?
Oh, also: have you ever seen an offset with 20 holes across the top of the cooking chamber or do they mostly have one exhaust opening?

My top is sealed up with a 2" bung & 6" pipe nipple.. I cook right through rain no water in my drums ever.

When im done cooking I shut off the ball valve and screw on the cap on the pipe nipple. there by snuffing out the hot coals. When ready to cook again i lift out the basket shake out the ashes leaving the good coals behind, add a little more coal and fire it up... no waste at all...?

Back