MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

For those in Northern VA and Maryland, give Humphrey Lump a try. A brethren, BBQ Equipment Store sells it. Burns clean, hot, and long. No trash in it and consistently sized.
Humphrey Lump

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKomoman View Post
That started about a month ago and is one of their 6 month guaranteed prices. I cooked one up about 3 weeks ago, good stuff.
the prices probably differ regionally, we've had that price for close to a year.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post
We shop at Wegmans on a regular basis. I love their stores. Everything is good quality and fairly priced. I have seen their lump before but was leary on buying any. I'm pretty picky about my lump. Keep us posted, if it's good I'll definitely stock up.
i'll update this thread after i burn some this weekend.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
VeRTiGo91
On the road to being a farker

My father in law used to use Cowboy, and it sparked too much for him on his Green Egg. He switched to Wegman's as well, and swears by it.
VeRTiGo91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I'll be driving through VA next week. I'll have to stop in. I'm sure the family won't mind some more halfmoons also.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
TheKomoman
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
the prices probably differ regionally, we've had that price for close to a year.
They probably do, but we could easily not have noticed since my BBQ-addiction didn't set in until I got my Egg last summer. Hope they continue that for a good while longer!
TheKomoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I'll be driving through VA next week. I'll have to stop in. I'm sure the family won't mind some more halfmoons also.
Choose the store wisely, I'll probably be wiping my store out

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
scummybear
On the road to being a farker

I wiped my store out a while ago in Jersey. I like it, although it is only lump i have used. Always seems to burn great and never any oddities in my bags. I only have a couple left so I should probably check to see if my wegmans ever got any back in. I got crazy looks at Christmas when I asked if they had any charcoal in the back. lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Today I'm trying some of this lump out and so far so good. I lit about 4 pieces on the side burner of my old gasser and there was very little popping. It lit up nice in about 5 minutes.

I put the lit pieces in the small cleared out area with the rest of the lump for a variation of the minion method. It came up to around 230 pretty quick. I will be leaving it at that temp for about 1.5 hours before cranking the temp to 300-325.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
marcusroy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Chriscw81 although I do not know you I kind of get the feeling that you know absolutely nothing about bar b queing. Everyone knows the best thing to smoke with is cut up cardboard boxes and pine needles.
marcusroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusroy View Post
Chriscw81 although I do not know you I kind of get the feeling that you know absolutely nothing about bar b queing. Everyone knows the best thing to smoke with is cut up cardboard boxes and pine needles.
Well played, sir!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
marcusroy

Bro all BS aside I was looking on Amazon and finding prices on some lump at around 1.50 a lb. For my briquettes I'll stick with Kingsford, and for my lump I'll stick with Wicked Good.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusroy View Post
Bro all BS aside I was looking on Amazon and finding prices on some lump at around 1.50 a lb. For my briquettes I'll stick with Kingsford, and for my lump I'll stick with Wicked Good.
Yeah, this stuff just happens to be local and cheap. I have WG sitting in the garage as I type. Good stuff. I would recommend checking Kroger in your neck of the woods, though. I hear their lump is also made by royal oak. You'll be impressed, if nothing else, it's cheap.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #29
marcusroy

Hrrrm don't even know of any Krogers around me. I dont mind ordering it. If I buy bulk i'll probably get a good price. I noticed yours was in a plastic tub. Great thinking. Def need to do that!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #30
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Keep an eye out for sales at Wegmans. We bought some of their lump a few years ago when they had a sale on it. I think we paid something like $3.00 per bag.

I agree, it is good stuff.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote