Grilled Fruit Salad, Success hidden in failure (Pr0n)

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Not too long ago, I took a bunch of fruit salad, wrapped it up in foil, and threw it on the UDS. The results, were surprisingly good, the blend included pineapple, strawberries, and mango. The only problem with it was that it ended up looking like the insides of a crumble as opposed to an actual fruit salad, I must admit though, the smokey flavor it acquired was awesome, the only thing it needed was like a granola bar crumbled over it or some crunchy sweet aspect to make it perfect.
For some reason (Throwdown) I decided to give the grilled fruit salad thing a try again. This time I skewered up some Pineapple and melon, sprinkled them with brown sugar, and threw them on the OTG while we were cooking up some burgers and foiled potatoes.
0531101841.jpg

While these were cooking away, I decided that it would be great to come up with a streusel like topping to put over the top of the fruit salad. After digging through the fridge, I came across a block of neufchatel cheese that was close to expiring and figured, I'd go with a cream cheese type frosting for the grilled fruit salad so, I gathered together the following ingredients for it.
0531101845.jpg

I started off by putting 1/2 cup of skim milk and the block of neufchatel into a small pot on the stove over low heat. Once the cheese had melted down and mixed well into the milk, I then added 6Tbs Powdered Sugar, 1 1/2Tbs Brown sugar, 1/2tsp cinnamon, and good squeeze of lemon juice. I then stirred it all together and let it cook for a few minutes over the low heat, just until it started to bubble (my stove runs quite hot).
0531101901.jpg

When it was all done, I took the pineapple off the skewers, chopped it up, mixed it with the melon, through on some strawberries and blue berries, and then drizzled my cream cheese type frosting over the top.
0531101946.jpg

Now, came the time to try it out. The pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries were awesome together but, the melon was quite off the mark for my tastes. Overall, I was disappointed with the fruit portion of this dish. However, the neufchatel frosting was UNBELIEVABLE! :thumb: This is some really awesome tasting stuff, at the end we were just dipping fruit into it on the stove like fondu, (Which I highly recommend trying. :cool:) and, when it cooled off in the fridge it set up just like a hard cream cheese frosting like you would have on a carrot cake. I also thought about mixing in some whipped topping and making some sort of cheese cake out of it but, it didn't last that long. :becky: The think I'm happiest about is that, I've never even made a cream cheese frosting before so, this was a total wing it that had great results. So even though my fruit failed the sauce was a success! Thanks for looking.

Managed to find the pr0n from my first fruit salad on the UDS here it is in the foil before getting thrown on.
91475559.jpg

and here is it read to come off the UDS.
91492634.jpg

Back