MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Long term rub storage advice?

So, I made a batch of my Dynamite rib rub a couple weeks ago (thinking ahead for the holiday cook) but when I went to use it yesterday, the brown sugar had already started to crystalize. It got me to thinking- there has to be a way to stop this from happening.

Either the containers I've been storing the rub in might not be as air-tight as I thought they were, or;

I should mix all the spices and herbs together, but leave the sugar out until the day of the cook, or;

I've seen some commercial rubs use Silica Dioxide to prevent caking- anyone know if this will also stop the brown sugar from crystalizing? Anyone have a connection that I can get ahold of some from?

It's not a huge deal, and I'm already stuck with the containers I have because I'm on a very tight budget and can't afford to really replace the whole set right now.

I know the little sugar clumps just roll off during the rub application, but i hate to see things go to waste. As I said, on a tight budget.

Fire away!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
jmilleronaire
Knows what a fatty is.

How long-term are we talking? Spices lose flavor over time no matter what you do, so anything over 6 months you might as well be using sawdust, in my opinion...

I'd guess that a vacuseal container or bag, in the freezer, would be the best bet to make it last long term.

For short term, you'd want an airtight, lightproof container. Some kitchen stores carry airtight metal tins intended for spices, perhaps you can find one large enough to house your rub?
jmilleronaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Just leave the sugar out, it's better for you. LOL

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Tchurst
Got rid of the matchlight.

Mason Jar, not to good for long time but awesome for a month, month and a half. Just shake and rub each time

Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

maybe mason jar and "food saver" vac sealer attachment that let's you vac seal mason jars? least no air.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I just break down the bulk lots into 1 to 2 pound batches then vacu-suck & into the freezer. Works great for me.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
rogwadd
On the road to being a farker

Anyone use Brownulated Sugar? Even as little as 2 or 3 weeks after mixing, I found my brown sugar would lump and I would have to attempt to break up as much as I could. This stuff works much better.

In addition, in my internet wanderings, I believe I read that the granualted brown has a bit higher burn temp.

http://www.dominosugar.com/Product.aspx?id=7
rogwadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

ive never seen a sugar that didnt crystalize in the jar... If you vacuseal it in a container and it still does it, put it in the microwave for 15 seconds and give it a good shake. I do this with my brown sugar.

It doesnt effect the flavor, just annoying to get it out the shaker.
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I make my spice mix ahead of time and then add my Demerara sugar just before I rub.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crystalization, rub, silica dioxide, storage, sugar