• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Roast Appreciation Thread

Progress pic

20191012.jpg

My boys are coming for dinner tonight so I picked up an 8½ pound standing rib roast. Plan on putting it on the Performer rotisserie, bones and all. Loading lump on one side and gonna catch the drippings. Will be about 3 hours sitting on the counter at room temp.

Been a couple years since doing one and sorta drawing a blank on how long it should take. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

hipshot guess is 2.5 hrs. hard to guess as I bet rotisserie temp will vary. probably be some bullseye but great crust with rotisserie from my experience.

hipshot guess is 2.5 hrs. hard to guess as I bet rotisserie temp will vary. probably be some bullseye but great crust with rotisserie from my experience.
Took it off after 2½ hours. Should have pulled it sooner as it ended up overdone. Was tasty but I have bad luck with rib roasts. Can never get them quite right in the grill. Thinking of trying Method X next time.

20191014.jpg

Took it off after 2½ hours. Should have pulled it sooner as it ended up overdone. Was tasty but I have bad luck with rib roasts. Can never get them quite right in the grill. Thinking of trying Method X next time.

20191014.jpg

is that the one where you throw it in a hot oven and then turn it off and leave it til done? I've heard it works.

I have good results cooking at low temps. my trusty turkey roaster with an analog dial works (same one I use to hot hold bbq) really well and as well as the pellet cooker. I rest for a bit so it doesn't carryover when I I sear.

is that the one where you throw it in a hot oven and then turn it off and leave it til done? I've heard it works.

I have good results cooking at low temps. my trusty turkey roaster with an analog dial works (same one I use to hot hold bbq) really well and as well as the pellet cooker. I rest for a bit so it doesn't carryover when I I sear.
Method X is pre-heating the oven to 500° then putting the roast in for exactly 5 minutes per pound. Turn the heat off and leave the roast in the oven for 2 hours without opening the door. Some I know say it works great, but I dismissed them because I've always liked playing with charcoal.

Think it's time to give X a try.

20191014.jpg

I actually love that doneness as long as you eat it fast. The beefy flavor is so much stringer than medium rare.

Look into Meathead's method at Amazing ribs.com.
Works like a charm.
Pink all the way through. I'd eat yours like an animal, though....

Gave my kids about 2½# of the roast to take home. They made a breakfast hash with it yesterday.

Still have a rib with a bunch of meat. Thinking of making stroganoff. Have made it before just winging the recipe. Anyone have a good one?

^^^Hey Al! Hope all is well brother!

Anyway, I cooked and we ate a rib roast on New Year's, but I didn't take any pix. :tsk: I did a recipe/method out of APL's book that involved a glaze that included beef base and chili powder and it was pretty fantastic.

^^^Hey Al! Hope all is well brother!

Anyway, I cooked and we ate a rib roast on New Year's, but I didn't take any pix. :tsk: I did a recipe/method out of APL's book that involved a glaze that included beef base and chili powder and it was pretty fantastic.

All is good here, Greg. Hope the same for you.

Any chance you could hook a brother up with a link to the APL glaze? I'm sure it was farkin' killer.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back