• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rubber Brisket (Bow Bow Bow)

DoctorCueNC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I’ve been cooking Wagyu briskets this year for comps and am still struggling to get to the magic tenderness point. I do think I am undercooking but the question about that is when I probe it feels like no resistance in the flat, the flat has a slight jiggle, and I’m only holding 2hrs max (I probe with thermapen and I think temp said around 206 cooking at ~275)

When I start to slice everything looks good but as they set the slices turn to rubber bands (hence the post title). Do Wagyus just probe more tender earlier than primes, or is there something with my rest causing it to get more rubbery after it cools.

Last edited:
I don't personally cook wagyu but if you're cooking at 275 and pulling at 206 you probably need to go further. Personally I didn't see any big improvements in tenderness until I went to 211 or so. I cook at 250

Again wagyu may be different

Are you referring to rubbery in the pull, or in the meat texture itself?

Cutting across the grain I'm sure?
Ed

From his FB page, so yeah, cutting it correctly
64278820_2351438105144433_8588513529055674368_n.jpg

I cook em at 275 also, I don't probe for doneness until it hits 207. Just gotta let it go longer

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Are you referring to rubbery in the pull, or in the meat texture itself?

Mostly the pull is rubbery at first with an ok bite, but as it sits after slicing the bite gets a little chewy too. I figured it was just needing to go longer and that with all the extra marbling that it was just probing softer earlier but still not quite rendering all the connective tissue out.

Mostly the pull is rubbery at first with an ok bite, but as it sits after slicing the bite gets a little chewy too. I figured it was just needing to go longer and that with all the extra marbling that it was just probing softer earlier but still not quite rendering all the connective tissue out.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I cook A9 briskets and when I pull them they are nice and soft with very little resistance. When I slice them they are tight as all get up. I, like yourself, believe that they probe tender even though they really are not tender due to the high fat content. I have heard many teams state that they do not start checking their A9 brisket until it hits about 205-208.

We were having a "seizing" problem with SRF Blacks - probe tender, but after rest, not so tender. A pitmaster at a comp told me to not vent and go directly to the Cambro to rest. It worked for us.

I did joke that this weekend I’m going to take it till they have to eat it with a straw and then see how tenderness goes.

Just a thought .....HOT meat really hot at 200 + wouldn't the fibers inside the meat be as "open" as gonna get , which would yeld a less resistant probing feel due to its HOT and fully open.

Then when hold it of course or goal is for meat to "pull back" close up and pull moister back into the meat , seems then the probe feel would be more resistant feel , due to meat fibers tighting back up.

Just a thought .......seems plausible

Take this for what it’s worth, but it’s really hard to overcook a brisket.

I guess I accomplished something really hard then :razz: but seriously I did overcook in that it wanted to crumble apart on the edges and top. However, all my tenderness scores jumped from a couple 6 and 7s and 8s to 3 9s and 3 8s so definitely close to where I want. Thanks for the feedback.

Take this for what it’s worth, but it’s really hard to overcook a brisket.

As a judge, I would say that this somewhat accurate. I have judged more brisket that pull-tested tough than I have that were overcooked. There have been a few overdone, but not too many.

Back