MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Default Maverick RT-73 help

Well, had my first grease fire in the WH, burnt up my ET-73 smoker temp probe, just in time to fark me for Wishland this weekend. Company is in NJ so noway to get it by Friday. Sorry, just not gonna pay $30 to ship a $12 part next day!

Anyone know any place you can buy replacement probes that does not require shipping?

Ohh, another benefit, the Traeger temp guages that go to 700* probably went another half way past that! Burnt up the RobertShaw thermostat I just put in it, and it had just started to work! Hey Andy or anyone else in the know, do you know if you can replace just the copper thermostate in one of those controlers?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Bent this might not be ideal, but it should work. I noticed that the only difference in my polder style probe and maverick was the length of the conector. The mavericks is longer because they have the rubber seal on the base for weatherproofing I suppose. You could get a cheapy thermometer from Target and just shove the food probe through a potato or something. Then remove the gray rubber thingy on the base and it should work for you. You might be able to tape or strap the probe connector into the base instead of removing the rubber part. Does that make sense?
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfisher63 View Post
Hey Bent this might not be ideal, but it should work. I noticed that the only difference in my polder style probe and maverick was the length of the conector. The mavericks is longer because they have the rubber seal on the base for weatherproofing I suppose. You could get a cheapy thermometer from Target and just shove the food probe through a potato or something. Then remove the gray rubber thingy on the base and it should work for you. You might be able to tape or strap the probe connector into the base instead of removing the rubber part. Does that make sense?

No. Remember who you are dealing with!

I was wonering if I could go to a Fry's and see if I could get a reducer for my Acu-temp probes and use it.

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Old 04-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

On the base of the Maverick where you plug the probes in, there should be gray rubber seals. On my cheap Target thermeter the probe connector is the same diameter but shorter. If I try to plug in the cheaper style probe and push real hard it registers on the Maverick. So if you could find some cheap probe with the same diameter maybe you could remove the rubber plug on the Maverick base and plug in the cheap style probe. Without the gray seal in place maybe the shorter probe connector will work. Get It?
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Be very careful with just picking up a random probe and expecting it to work. I tried the probe on my Maverick from some cheapie, and while the numbers registered, the temps were off. If you try this, be sure to calibrate it to confirm it works (or get an idea for how much it is off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfisher63 View Post

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good luck getting it done, Bent!