MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling Lesson Polls

Notices

Food Handling Lesson Polls Poll based lessons. See what misconceptions our general population has regarding food safety and preparation.

View Poll Results: How many ill people constitute a foodborne illness outbreak?
100 4 5.00%
2 36 45.00%
25 11 13.75%
10 29 36.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
bbqjoe
Banned

Default FoodBorne outbreak *complete*

A foodborne outbreak is when people experience the same illness after eating the same food.
According to the C.D.C. (Center for disease control)
How many people must become ill from the same thing before the incidence is considered an outbreak?
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
bbqjoe
Banned

Default The answer to this question is 2.

It is an awful thing to think that someone got ill because of something they ate that you cooked.
There are numerous possibilities as to why they got sick.
You may have contaminated the food in a number of ways.
There is a remote possibility that both people are allergic to something in your recipe. But not likely.
The fact remains that two people are ill, and this has now been reported as a foodborne illness outbreak. You will be visited at the very least by your local health dept. Who will then try to find out what you did or did not do to make people ill.

You might meet the whole alphabet soup gang. CDC, AMA.... God only knows who.

If they can find it, corrective measures will have to be taken.
If they cannot find it, you most likely will be shut down until they can.

And even worse yet, if the media gets it, two people sick will be repoted as an outbreak, and everyone will think you poisoned the whole world.

And God help you if they died.....

This is just the tip of the iceberg as to why safe food handling practices are necessary and are law.

(Class, you may now discuss amongst yourselves or ask questions)

Tomorrows lesson: Types of contamination
Old 05-16-2006, 02:20 AM   #3
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

I think at least 3 people, two of which should not be connected (to cut out the chance they could have both picked it up elsewhere!)
Old 05-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : samichlaus

I went with 2.
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
bbqjoe
Banned

Personally speaking, I feel that two is a pretty weak number to go by.
If these people were family or friends that had eaten say, at another establishment sometime before eating your food, it could cause for an inaccurate report.

Pretty much the same thing Carbon toe said.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

A couple of months ago, I heard that one of our guests got sick the next day after I had a BBQ party. I was really concerned untill I found out that the reason for the illness was not the food, but the mass quantities of beer inbibed by the person.

It was a "heads up" for me though because I initially wondered what I had done to contaminate the food that was served. After that, I became even more careful when handling food.

I recently cooked briskets for our elemetary school carnival. I was in charge of the chopped beef sandwiches preparation and serving. I was on the first shift of servers and used gloves to make them. I was careful to not touch the money or "carnival food tickets" from the customers. The next few workers would wear gloves but would make take money, change and touch the tickets. I cautioned everyone to allow one person to handle the receipts and the others to stay clean. As far as I know, no one got sick...
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
ChipotlePat
On the road to being a farker

what most pepople dont Know is that it can take up to three days for some pepple to get sick from foodborne outbreak
ChipotlePat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipotlePat
what most pepople dont Know is that it can take up to three days for some pepple to get sick from foodborne outbreak
A thread on that topic will be forth coming.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
qman
Babbling Farker

Joe, is the number 2 supposed to be a nationwide thing or what. We were invloved as guests in a Mexican restaurant a couple of years ago, where all four of the people at my table got ill, and several other people (some of whom we knew personally) got ill. I reported it to the State and County health department, and could not get action at all until they had 10 confirmed reports. Then of course they jumped up and down and investigated the place, etc.
Just asking, I am in Florida
Old 05-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

In NYC it is 2 people.
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (scrapped, because door kept falling off)
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #11
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman
Joe, is the number 2 supposed to be a nationwide thing or what. We were invloved as guests in a Mexican restaurant a couple of years ago, where all four of the people at my table got ill, and several other people (some of whom we knew personally) got ill. I reported it to the State and County health department, and could not get action at all until they had 10 confirmed reports. Then of course they jumped up and down and investigated the place, etc.
Just asking, I am in Florida
This information is taken from a national guideline
Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #12
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe
This information is taken from a national guideline
OK, I am guessing that the numbers are different here. I know for a fact that it is standard procedure in my part of Florida for the inspectors to only respond to complaints. There are not enough of them to do routine inspections. It is hard to get an inspection of a new facility, even. We just do not seem to have enough inspectors to go around.
I have a friend who waited 7 weeks for a final health inspection before he could open a brand new resturant.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
shadetreebbq
Knows what a fatty is.

That is why I won't eat at food bars to many people handle the spoons that fall in the food.Also people let little kids get there own food sometimes they sneeze on the food bar.We saw people at one sample the food from the spoon then put the spoon back in the pan.That is just sick.
shadetreebbq is offline   Reply With Quote