New drum

BBQ JER

Reaction score
I am picking up a new drum today or tomorrow. It is brand new for $40.00 do i have to do a burn ? I believe it has no liner inside.and another question, even though it is new will the outside paint get messed up .because i want to do a nice little paint job on her eventually or should i leave the original paint on it ,let it get ugly, then do a nice little paint job on her... Thanks, jer

Thank you for the reply . I am going now to get a drum . I'm going to ask if they have unpainted drums.The place I'm going to manufactures the drums and luckily is five minutes from my house. If I cannot get an unpainted one.the outside paint will probably blister and flake. how would i get the rest of the paint off ? any suggestions ?

By the way I just looked at your profile and seen your pics of your UDS. very nice. I like how you made your coal basket.... very cool...... Jer

i got a brand new drum and didn't burn... made it, took it to the carwash and washed it out... took it home and seasoned it that day with some chicks... and fyi... did a 23 hour cook last weekend and original outside paint is holding up just fine... even down by the coals... so... smoke on my friend... :wink::wink:

i got a brand new drum and didn't burn... made it, took it to the carwash and washed it out... took it home and seasoned it that day with some chicks... and fyi... did a 23 hour cook last weekend and original outside paint is holding up just fine... even down by the coals... so... smoke on my friend... :wink::wink:

I have to agree, the wife got me a food grade drum w/o liner that was steam cleaned. It does not get hot enough while cooking to burn the outside paint off (or the stickers).

DSCF1267.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

I have to agree, the wife got me a food grade drum w/o liner that was steam cleaned. It does not get hot enough while cooking to burn the outside paint off (or the stickers).

DSCF1267.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

I beg to differ!

If by chance you happen to leave the lid off...lets say to answer the phone and lose all track of time and space, or you happen to leave the lid off and tend to your chicken turn in and lolligag and BS on your way back to your tent and people ask you if your drum is supposed to be on fire and yes it WILL get hot enough to burn the high temp BBQ paint off!

Don't ax me how I know this!:icon_clown

I beg to differ!

If by chance you happen to leave the lid off...lets say to answer the phone and lose all track of time and space, or you happen to leave the lid off and tend to your chicken turn in and lolligag and BS on your way back to your tent and people ask you if your drum is supposed to be on fire and yes it WILL get hot enough to burn the high temp BBQ paint off!

Don't ax me how I know this!:icon_clown

OK you got me on that one. :shock:

Do to the temps spike issues with the lid off, I shut the air vents before I open and I get in and get out ASAP:wink:

Back