MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Toxic q
On the road to being a farker

Default chicken color!

How are you guys getting that kinda light red glossy look on your chicken? Mine are coming out to dark and basically brown. Im not sure if its the rub or sauce or a combination of the two. Been using yardbird and killer hogs mixed rub and blues hog original and swampboys mixed and it just comes out way to dark. Have tried a few other combinations but still get that dark to brown color. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Toxic q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

more likely than not, the sugars in your rub are burning. What temp are you cooking at?
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Killer Hogs rub can be used to add color to meats that lack it, maybe that's not want you want to be adding to your chicken. Also, just try less rub. Chicken doesn't need as much as, say, a pork butt.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
21234rick
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with the sugars burning and too much rub. Also, how long are you cooking the sauce on the chicken? Are you over setting the glaze and darkening it? Just a thought.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
Toxic q

I cook 275 to 300

Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

I guess we would want to know, what at you cooking them on? Are you brining them with a homemade solution? Are you wrapping at some point?
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Toxic q

I cook on drums hot 275 to 300. I brine with game changer brine. Havent been foiling just straight on grate. Maybe glaze 5 minutes drum gets hot with lid on and off.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

find some lighter rubs, and try cooking in pans/ covered to keep the tops from burning. you can spritz with water to keep them from getting dark once they're open on the drum
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 01:33 AM   #9
RubLover
Knows what a fatty is.

Like others have said - look at the rubs your using and their paprika content. Try R Butts R Smokin Chicken Rub or Loot N Booty Gold Star Chicken Rub - both focus on poultry savory flavor with a bit of color. Try not putting any wood on as chicken will pick up smoke very fast and color it. As an experiment use your indoor oven as your pit. With the lack of smoke you will notice how much smoke color your pit adds with just charcoal.

As for the glossy red - most of that has to do with watching the amount of molasses your sauce has. The combination of Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennessee Red gives a nice red color. Sheen can be had with various sugars (pectin, corn sugar, agave nectar)...

Good luck!
RubLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #10
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Those rubs and sauce combo should be fine for color. We use them all the time.

If you're cooking directly on the grate in a drum that could be a starting point. I would think the meat would get dark fast on a drum not in a pan. I've never cooked on a drum but something to look at

Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #11
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm far from a competition chicken expert, but I think the others are onto something with your pre-sauced chicken being too dark. Here's some pre/post sauced pics to compare. What's your chicken looking like before you sauce it? These were put on the smoker in a foil pan uncovered, then finished in the same pan tightly covered with foil. That limits the amount of smoke hitting it, but I imagine it'd still be possible to burn the sugars in the rub if cooked direct or at too high a temp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chx1.jpg (80.3 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg chx2.jpg (61.3 KB, 191 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #12
Toxic q

Thanks for the help and im gonna try the pans this weekend! Will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again

Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #13
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic q View Post
Thanks for the help and im gonna try the pans this weekend! Will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again
http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/b...tition-thighs/
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote