Rub On Spare Ribs

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering how long you leave a rub on pork spare ribs? I usually leave it on overnight if I am going to smoke early in the morning. I heard that it may be to long, what do you guys do?:biggrin:

That's only too long if it results in the salt in the rub curing the meat to the point that you get a hammy taste. If there's not much salt in the rub and you haven't experienced this problem, then I'd say that if you like the results you're doing it right. I started this way, experienced the hammy taste, went to rubbing my ribs right before cooking and had a few experiences with less than flavorful meat. Now I'm back to rubbing them the night before in an attempt to get them back to the way I like them. Not sure if it's going to help but that's where I'm at.

I put my rub on within a 1/2 hr of going on the smoker, but my rub has a fair amount of salt. If your cooking 2 slabs try one each way.

If the spare ribs are "enhanced", it probably doesn't make much difference one way or the other since they will taste a bit hammy anyway.

I put my rub on within a 1/2 hr of going on the smoker, but my rub has a fair amount of salt. If your cooking 2 slabs try one each way.

Same here. I go start a chimney of charcoal for the WSM, then remove the membrane & put rub on the ribs.

Back