MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
kendall
Knows what a fatty is.

Default want to beat the best.

We have a men's ministry at church, and this is the 2nd annual BBQ competition, coming up in August. We cook, compete for bragging rights, socialize while cooking and the congregation brings stuff to go with the meat. we cook our food to be judged and the church buys more for us to cook and share.
This year the smack talk has already started, I finished 3rd out of 9 in ribs last year and 2nd in pulled pork, but didnt compete in chicken.
Why, you ask. the winner has cooked chicken for years. good enough that people call and ask him to cater. Places like David Lipbscomb University in nashville tn. nobody thought they could beat him..he has chicken down to a science, so he competed unopposed.
Not this year.. I probably can't beat him, but I plan to give him a run for his money. we can use any piece of the bird, cooked any over any type of fire, even gas, seasoned, sauced, what ever we like.

our judges will be a restaurant owner, 2 of our preachers, and a community official. There might be others to make a total of 6 but I don't know yet.
I've been expirementing with cornell chicken. But I thought I would ask for ideas. what is your favorite? And will you share with me?
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dates, man! We need dates!!

Good luck. Sounds like fun.

Anyone can be beat. The chicken man has a target on his back!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Go get'em!!! Time for a new king of chicken!!!
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
kendall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Dates, man! We need dates!!

Good luck. Sounds like fun.

Anyone can be beat. The chicken man has a target on his back!!
August 13th, downtown dickson............just smell for the smoke!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What does the chicken king usually cook? If he is that good at a certain cut or style you might try to find something a little different instead of trying to mimic exactly what he does. Also, what kind of setup will you have? That can be the difference between doing whole birds and just thighs. Personally I would shoot for whole birds as it has light and dark meat to cater to people's preferences.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
What does the chicken king usually cook? If he is that good at a certain cut or style you might try to find something a little different instead of trying to mimic exactly what he does. Also, what kind of setup will you have? That can be the difference between doing whole birds and just thighs. Personally I would shoot for whole birds as it has light and dark meat to cater to people's preferences.
Besides, the kids at Lipscomb will eat anything!! I know, we hosted a bunch at my home church many years ago!!

It would be fun to drag the Kingfisher up there, but it's not likely to happen.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
kendall
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Colonel00, he cooks chicken halfs or quarters. over regular briquettes with a vinegar-pepper-hot sauce mop. he usually cooks 60-75 lbs if he cooks for the college fundraiser. so there isn't a finishing sauce. I like his cooking, it's a little salty but still well liked. He was also one of my highschool teachers, so that makes this even more fun.

my best chicken lately was boneless split breasts, marinted in Stubbs Spicy sauce and cooked on the gas grill.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
landarc

I gotta believe you do not want to go head up against him them. The Cornell Chicken is an good way to go, done right, people love it. I do more of an Asian style, which is more of a sweet glaze with a little heat if you want. Not sure it is a better bet than Cornell Chicken

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Drew
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe try some Roadside Chicken, it is vinegar based as well, should sit well with the judges if they like the chicken king's recipe.

Might be enough to dethrone the king

Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Skidder
Babbling Farker

kendall p.m.ed you.
One more thing we're all trying to beat the best.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Wampus

Well, you've got one thing he doesn't........THIS PLACE!!!!

How about spatchcocking a whole chicken? BRINE!!!! If he brines, you should and if he doesn't, you DEFINITELY should.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Zing
On the road to being a farker

+1 to that ^^^.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
Boshizzle

GIve us some details on how the chicken king cooks. Does he cook a lot of chicken at one time and serve the judges from the large batch?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
chad

Cornell chicken is da bomb. My wife's uncle was a professor emeritus at Cornell. Cornell is where the vinegar based,heavy salt chicken sauce was developed after WWII. That's where the Cornell sauce moniker comes from!! In the northeast it is indeed known as Firehouse chicken since the volunteer fire departments do chicken dinner fund raisers. She brought the recipe with her when we married.

Good stuff and if I was in an open free for all volunteer judge contest like this I'd go with it!!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Well, you've got one thing he doesn't........THIS PLACE!!!!

How about spatchcocking a whole chicken? BRINE!!!! If he brines, you should and if he doesn't, you DEFINITELY should.

Wisdom!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote