Question on cooking for more than 1 butt

Fishin4bass723

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have cooked pork butt before but I need to cook 3 of them for more people. I figure there will be more cook time than just with one but I have no idea how much longer? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've wondered this too and keep going back and forth on what I think. Common sense tells me it should take longer, but then I think if the grill stays at the same temp then why should it take any longer?

Needless to say, I'm curious to hear what some of the more experienced cooks have to say.

The only difference is that the smoker will take a bit longer to come back up to temp when you first load the butts as you are adding a large mass of cold meat. You would base the cook time off the largest individual butt.

I did 3 brisket and I over shot my time by a good 3 hours! I got up late but none the less it was 3 hours added to my actual time in the smoker. Hope this helps.

I agree with what has been said. It may take your smoker a little longer to recover after you put the meat in, but once it is up to temp it will have the same cook time. I think going from 1 to 3 you will hardly notice a difference at all.

Roughly the same. Every chunk is different so it could take longer or shorter anyways. Be ready for that, also one being done before others, etc.

3 should be no problem on cook time. Especially if you are doing it on a larger cooker like a UDS. I do 6 butts on my drum and it takes a good solid hour to get back up to temp after I put the meat on. If I really need to keep a tight schedule, I break up the work load and do 4 on the drum and 2 on the Pit Barrel. Less recovery time on the temp with a little more cook management is a good trade off with me. 6 Butts on a single UDS can become a bit cumbersome, especially if you are wrapping them to beat the stall and stick to a schedule.

Shouldn't make a significant difference in overall cook time. Just make sure you test each for doneness. I've had two butts of the same size be done over an hour apart.

Just remember that it will take more fuel to keep the same temp.

Something about the laws of thermodynamics or something. . .

Same time (as they said above), with a caveat: make sure there is space for air to flow around them (dont jam them together).

what kind of cooker you running? if its a smaller grill.. you are going to want to make sure you space the butts apart so they aren't touching and you want to allow the heat to flow and exaust through them..

Back