Etiquette on Submitting Judges Applications

cvath

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered at some point on the past. I'm looking for how other KCBS CBJs handle this specific issue. If you've already applied to be a judge for a competition at some point in the future - 5 or more months - I've found you often don't hear back on if you're accepted until weeks to a month before the event. If you find two events on the same weekend in your general area do you wait to apply to the second until you've received confirmation either way from the first you applied to, or do you apply to both event and just go with the one which confirms you were selected first?

Personally, I'd sign up for all the comps you "know" you can judge. If there's an overlap then as soon as you decide let the organizer know ASAP if you're not judging. Cheers!!!

Apologies if this has been covered at some point on the past. I'm looking for how other KCBS CBJs handle this specific issue. If you've already applied to be a judge for a competition at some point in the future - 5 or more months - I've found you often don't hear back on if you're accepted until weeks to a month before the event. If you find two events on the same weekend in your general area do you wait to apply to the second until you've received confirmation either way from the first you applied to, or do you apply to both event and just go with the one which confirms you were selected first?

if there are 2 contests i'm interested in judging on the same weekend, i apply for both and confirm with the event that contacts me first.

be sure to notify the other contest as soon as you decide that you won't be available.

However you decide to handle the situation, communicate what you have done to both contests. Cancel the one you are not going to, and confirm the one you are planning to be at.
Communication is key.

Needs to be a better and more uniform way for organizers to communicate with judges.

Needs to be a better and more uniform way for organizers to communicate with judges.

What Carlyle ^^^^^ said. Judges owe it to the organizer to let them know if the judge can't show up, no matter what the reason. The organizers should show the same respect to the judges and let them know as soon as possible if they are "in". Some judges travel quite a way to judge a contest, there might be things like days off of work or motel rooms to be taken care of.

I understand that sometimes the organizer isn't positive on how many judges he'll need because he's not sure on the number of teams showing up. Okay, I get that.

But how about letting those judges know where they stand? "You are in!" or "So far you're number three on the waiting list" would go a long way on having happy judges.

this is the best system out there for judges to register for a contest. check it out. you don't have to be a member of RMBBQA to use it, you just have to register. http://rmbbqa.org/jlp/index.php

i know jeff is working on a similar program, as well http://www.compbbq.com/bbqcompetitions.php

i've signed up for contests using both programs, works like a charm. organizers like them too.

Back