Any truth to this

devious

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I smoked 2 pork butts this weekend for the 4th, and while im pulling the pork my close friend says to me. If we didnt put rub on the meats we smoke we wouldnt get the smoke ring. any truth to that?

keith

from what I understand, it is. There have been a few really good posts on the topic in the last year - I can't tell ya exactly, but it isn't really the smoke, but the heat causing a reaction with a chemical or chemicals in the rub. I'm sure someone will post a better explanation.

None whatsoever! The smoke ring is caused by the nitrates created by burning wood. This will even happen with a very clean burning fire with no visible smoke at all. A 'smoke' ring also can be artificially created using Morton's Tender Quick or some other tenderizer containing nitrates.

Here's a fatty with no rub at all. The smoke ring is clearly visible.

PA140504.JPG

I did a brisket last week and forgot to put rub on it until after 5 hours on the smoker. The ring was very pronounced, so there you go.

what you should have done with your two butts is an experiment (one with rub and one without rub).

I smoked 2 pork butts this weekend for the 4th, and while im pulling the pork my close friend says to me. If we didnt put rub on the meats we smoke we wouldnt get the smoke ring. any truth to that?

keith
Maybe you're buddy confused smoke ring with bark. The sugars in the rub help promote a nice bark, which you will not get nearly as well without a rub with some type of sugars.

Take a pork butt right out of the fridge & put it on the smoker with no rub - you'll get a very pronounced smoke ring.

Back