• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Prepping butts...then freezing?

Pife

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm cooking for an event where I'll need to do probably around six pork butts and six chuck roasts. For a Saturday cook, I would usually buy fresh meat and trim/clean/rub/wrap in plastic wrap the night before.

However for this event, I will be away from home for business all week (Sun > Friday) and still need to get my meat in the smoker Friday night.

Has anyone ever purchased your butts, cleaned/trimmed/rubbed/wrapped in plastic...then froze? Thaw a few days before the event and then smoked as usual?

I could do this work ahead of time and have someone pull from freezer for me while I'm away.

Wondering what effect the rub will have being frozen...then a extra day or two extended time from thawed until smoked?

I've got some time, so my next couple of smokes will be an experiment in this direction.

Thanks for any advice/responses!

Mods....I should have posted this in the QTalk forum...but don't know how to move. sorry.

Last edited:
I've done it and found no detrimental effect of the additional freeze/thaw process so id say do it however im interested to hear from those with more experience how they feel about it.

What's this cleaning and trimming you speak of?
Take the butts out of the package, rub and put into smoker.
Your over thinking it.

Your over thinking it.

Someday, I'm going to drive up to Michigan and meet you. I've been doing this since 2009, and I have a feeling I could still learn a lot in a couple hours of talking...

I avoid using butts that are frozen, but the ones I have used turned out just fine.

One idea you might be receptive to is to remove the money muscle end including some of the tube muscles from each butt and smoke them separately for slicing. This will reduce the cook time on the butts and give you another serving choice. I do tie them for more uniformity.

4bXd8SB.jpg

5BCq3gF.jpg

I agree, 5 or 6 butts can be prepped quicker than the time it takes to bring your smoker up to temp. Just open, and season and put on the smoker.

Thank you for all the advice. Next time I smoke, I'll try my "rub/freeze/thaw" idea and do a "fresh meat, rubbed while warming up the smoker" approach to see if I can tell any difference.

I appreciate all the help.

Your over thinking it.

Took the words right out of my mouth LOL The process of thawing and unwrapping will take longer.

Back