American Royal Q&A

Will Price Chopper be set up on site again this year? They had great produce last year.

Ok, just a last couple of questions, comments, and thoughts. I know a few are probably on the way, or about to leave.

Abt how long of a walk, including pedestrian traffic is it from spot 938. We estimate a walk of abt 1500 ft. Is that close? And we figured on leaving abt 10 minutes before the "window" opens to get there abt when it opens to drop off and return for the next. Does that sound abt right?

Also, I have tried to make a list of the Brethren and where we will be located, names, etc. I know I have probably missed a few, and not gotten all of everyones names. I am going to try and attach it here, but if it doesn't make it, let me know and I will get it emailed to you. Just send me a note with your email address.

See ya all there.

Attachments

• brethren listing.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 28
Water

My name is Becky we will be in spot 506 for Worth Smokin this is our 1st time at the Royal and 2nd competition ever basically just want to do it for the experience. I was wondering how you get water? For cleaning, etc. Do you have to go get it somewhere then you hall it back to your spot? How does all that typically work.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks for any help. Becky

Price Chopper WILL be on-site.Water gators go around the contest site. They have big tanks on the back of them.

Clint, did you rent a car? If so, when you leave the airport to head into KC take the Barry Road exit and go east a few blocks. You'll run into a HyVee.

I've been impressed with the greens they sell at the Royal - lettuce and parsley.

Is anyone getting a case of parsley from RT and will have extra? Or if some teams want to go in on a case, I can go get one Thursday or Friday morning.

Yeah, got a great deal on a car ($35 a day for a mid-sized). I'm arriving at about 6pm Wed and heading to the Comfort Inn on Admiral Blvd. Anyone in the area should definitely hit me up because I'm going to be bored!

Thursday is shopping day. The HyVee sounds good.

Steph, do those gators have pumps to pump the water or is it a gravity kind of thing?

Another newbie question... We're in lot D, just about the farthest spot out (041)
PLEASE tell me how much time we should budget for speed-walking the blind boxes. We will have a blocker person and a meat carrier.
Also... Is it safe to leave my offset stick burner trailer there (in our spot) Thursday night unattended? We will have a lock on the hitch coupler.
Thanks!

1) Water is a gravity thing2) Lot D walk....time it, that's your best shot.3) Your pit should be safe on Thursday.

Yeah, got a great deal on a car ($35 a day for a mid-sized). I'm arriving at about 6pm Wed and heading to the Comfort Inn on Admiral Blvd. Anyone in the area should definitely hit me up because I'm going to be bored!

Thursday is shopping day. The HyVee sounds good.

the HyVee I mentioned is no where near where you're staying and honestly our downtown is lacking in the grocery store department. But their's a Sunfresh a few miles south of Kemper on Southwest Trafficway (Summit Street) and 41st. It's a decent size grocery store.

http://kansascity.citysearch.com/profile/5831257/kansas_city_mo/sun_fresh_market.html

the HyVee I mentioned is no where near where you're staying and honestly our downtown is lacking in the grocery store department. But their's a Sunfresh a few miles south of Kemper on Southwest Trafficway (Summit Street) and 41st. It's a decent size grocery store.

http://kansascity.citysearch.com/profile/5831257/kansas_city_mo/sun_fresh_market.html

There's the new Cosentino's Price Chopper downtown in the Power and Light District.

http://www.mypricechopper.com/

Guys I'm flying in on Thursday and I'll need to buy EVERYTHING. I'm barrowing a cooker and tent from (Good-One Smokers) and perhaps a table. I’m in SPOT 723. I’ll be scrambling on Thursday night to run everything I need down to cook both the Invite and Open. Any tips on where to go shopping would be great. I cook mostly FBA and when I do cook KCBS very rarely use greens so anyone with tips in that area please let me have it…I’ve got a Mini Van so no jokes boys…. See you all there…..

I know this is asking alot but anyone willing to help me out with a Cambro to use or another like hot box. I would even rent it the $ is right.

Guys I'm flying in on Thursday and I'll need to buy EVERYTHING. I'm barrowing a cooker and tent from (Good-One Smokers) and perhaps a table. I’m in SPOT 723. I’ll be scrambling on Thursday night to run everything I need down to cook both the Invite and Open. Any tips on where to go shopping would be great. I cook mostly FBA and when I do cook KCBS very rarely use greens so anyone with tips in that area please let me have it…I’ve got a Mini Van so no jokes boys…. See you all there…..

I know this is asking alot but anyone willing to help me out with a Cambro to use or another like hot box. I would even rent it the $ is right.

I'll help ya out...:biggrin: I'll call you later.

Another newbie question... We're in lot D, just about the farthest spot out (041)
PLEASE tell me how much time we should budget for speed-walking the blind boxes. We will have a blocker person and a meat carrier.
Also... Is it safe to leave my offset stick burner trailer there (in our spot) Thursday night unattended? We will have a lock on the hitch coupler.
Thanks!

I think you are going to need 2 runners. The line for turn in's can be long, and your runner will be hard pressed to get there on time, wait in line, and get back to you for the next entry in time. We are in lot B, and still use 2 runners.

490 teams. Turn ins have got to be crazy!

The biggest concern you have, from your spot, is the public between Lot B and the doors. Last year it was no problem. The year before it was a lot more crowded. I'm sure you guys will have someone to run interference and say "Excuse Me" so that you don't surprise anyone:wink:

You should run at least one box on Sunday:lol::mrgreen: It's pretty impressive!

Anybody else itch'n and twitch'n about this weekend. I'm ready to go!
Silly question, I know you all are in the same boat..:mrgreen:

) Lot D walk....time it, that's your best shot..

I will definitely walk it when we get there but I need an idea now.
I'm printing out my timeline, just need to know how much time to budget for the walk... 5 minutes? 10? 15?

ie. for an 11:00 turn-in, what time does my box need to leave camp? Just a suggestion please.

I've never cooked KCBS before (used to 60 minute turn-ins) so need all the guidance I can get, I'm nervous.

Back